Friday, December 23, 2016

First Line Friday!

Hooray for Christmas vacation! I was free of students as of 4:05 Thursday afternoon and am looking forward to spending the holiday with my family at home, doing nothing but laying on the couch, watching bowl games, eating ridiculous amounts of yummy food, and of course reading.

This week's First Line is from a book I was so surprised and excited to get, but that also made me kind of sad because this is the man who should be our president. He poured his heart and soul into his campaign and I am so proud of what he has awakened in my generation, and those after. I only say the book was a surprise because it was a Christmas gift from my daughter's father's parents. They're fairly conservative, but they saw the value in the political experiences I was providing for Eleanor at a such young age. We caucused for Senator Sanders back in March, then attended a rally on November 4th where not only did we get to hear him speak, but I got to talk to him and ugly-cry while we took a selfie. I then had reporters after the ugly-cry-selfie asking for my name and email address, so they could send me photos they took of us. It was pretty awesome and my daughter, though only 3 1/2, is OBSESSED with him. When I opened the box, she immediately shouted, "Bernie!" and grabbed it from me - then asked me to read it to her at bedtime. 

30841110

Now, the First Line:

"When we began our race for the presidency in April 2015, we were considered by the political establishment and the media to be a "fringe" campaign, something not to be taken seriously."

Oh how wrong the media was, and err'body knows it.

Check out what my fellow First Liners have to say this week. Due to Christmas being upon us, a few of the ladies are not posting, but you can check out previous First Lines you might have missed. 


Rachel - Bookworm Mama





Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. The Lassoed by Marriage Romance Collection
    by Mary Connealy, Angela Bell, Angela Breidenbach, Rebecca Jepson,
    Amy Lillard, Gina Welborn, Kathleen Y'Barbo, Rose Ross Zediker, Lisa Cox Carter

    This first line is from the first story in the text--The Substitute Bride by Angela Bell.

    And the first line is...

    London, England
    On a Sunday in June of 1865

    "Gwen's husband suffered quite the shock upon lifting her Brussels lace veil at the conclusion of their wedding ceremony."

    Happy reading and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Heather :) Happy Reading and Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  2. "There I have hope that our man brains that have been of man so long and that have not lost the grace of God, will come higher than his child-brain that lie in his tomb for centuries, that grow not yet to our stature, and that do only work selfish and therefore small."

    Another great line from Dracula that I heard while running a moment ago. That Van Helsing is a character! Although earlier today I was reading A Christmas Carol which is more fitting for the season and though I had trouble putting it down I'm determined to finish Dracula before the end of the year. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yes, I would definitely agree that A Christmas Carol is more seasonal than Dracula ;) Solid line though; oh, Van Helsing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelsea Jamison snuck in the back door of Kenworth’s Department Store.
    ~Christmas Makeover by Cami Checketts (Christmas Kisses Anthology)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Eve - Eve!!! My first line today is from Dreamspell by Tamara Leigh - "Even I would have killed for thee." I just downloaded it to my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Eve Eve to you too Rachel! Thanks for coming by :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!