Sunday, September 6, 2026

Exhausted!

Still alive, but the beginning of the school year is kicking my ass right now. As such, my brain will not even allow me the simple pleasure of reading a freaking book. It's positively infuriating.

13 comments:

  1. Oof, I know that feeling. Hope you find reading time and your brain is willing to accommodate soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why this year feels so different. We are 12 days in and usually by this point I feel settled. But there's so much to do and my to-do just keeps growing, no matter how many things I cross off. I'm a special education teacher, and our caseload numbers are end-of-year numbers, with so many kids in the process of being identified. Not to mention the fact that we are a massive elementary school that needs at least four SpEd teachers, but we are three doing the work of four. Literally all my brain can handle after work is mindless scrolling, and I hate it!!

      Delete
  2. Give yourself some grace as you settle into the year! I don't care how many years you've done it, each year inevitably brings new challenges and ripples that you have to get through. You'll read when you're ready. Do you do audio at all? I find I can usually get into an audio if I can't physically read for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, friend <3 I've read maybe six books in the last month and then I feel frustrated with myself for being out of sorts, and then frustrated with my job for making me feel out of sorts. I'm trying to just be patient, let my brain recover, and ease back into it without so much pressure on myself to read read read. I haven't tried audio books before, but if this slump doesn't end soon, I might have to!

      Delete
    2. I find a straight ahead thriller works best for me on audio. Genre really matters for some reason. Non-fiction can be great too. It's like listening to a podcast!

      Delete
    3. Agreed! Thrillers are what usually get me out of slumps. Of course, I have 50 of them on my Kindle from NetGalley and don't want to read a single one, lol. Ugh!

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering about you but thought you might be busy with school.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been really hard. I love my kids and my team, but there are just so many kids who need services and not enough time or people to help. And then more teachers leave and districts wonder why. It's the worst.

      Delete
    2. I know. And we all know the reasons. Grrrr

      Delete
    3. Sarah @ All the Book Blog Names Are TakenOctober 7, 2026 at 11:10 PM

      Yes!!! And it’s infuriating. These kids need so much more help than ever before, and I feel like I’m failing them every single day.

      Delete
    4. Just to make sure you're aware of this, Sarah. You are not failing them, it's the system. And, unfortunately, all teachers have that problem at the moment. Everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Hope your brain can get some chill time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully today will be the day that I can just do nothing but nap and read and nap and read. Even our weekends have been so busy the last couple weeks, and next weekend is no diffrent!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!