Friday, March 6, 2015

My Writing/Update

On Monday Bruce Arant visited school to talk to our students and read his book, Simpson's Sheep Won't Go to Sleep, (such a cute story, I am getting it for my Sweetie Babe) and did a drawing activity with our students. I was able to speak to him for a few minutes after his presentation and learn about how he went about getting an agent and eventually getting published. This is the biggest part that worries me. First, I have no agent - at least, not yet. There are publishers who will accept manuscripts without being submitted by an agent, but not many that I have found so far. Mr. Arant told me his book was rejected THIRTY TIMES before finally finding a home. This does not shock me, I have read about this happening many times, but to hear straight from a published author that it took thirty tries, it is just almost soul-crushing. I know I am a good writer. I am not being a braggart, at least not intending to sound like one, it is just something I know I am good at (rambling blog posts aside). I don't know if I could handle thirty rejections of something I love so much and not get a little dejected about it. Plus, the project I am currently working on is especially near and dear to my heart because it involves my baby girl, so I think I would end up taking it very personally, even though that would not actually be the case.

I have been feeling extra inspired today, despite going home early from work because I got sick. My goal for this weekend is to finish the first story and see what I can do about the next step, locating more publishers who accept manuscripts straight from authors. Mr. Arant was also kind enough to offer some advice and give me his email address as well if I had any more questions.

I am so excited about this book. Or possibly books. I have not decided if it would make a better stand-alone, or a mini-series, or what. But I at least have a very clear idea in my head of the first story. A very curious and rambunctious little lady finds herself in all kinds of adventures with her sidekick, her best buddy, a teddy bear named Barnabas - who just happens to come alive. I have all these ideas for so many adventures and I am eager to share them - and who knows, maybe use them to pay for another certain little lady's college education.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!