Saturday, October 16, 2021

Stacking the Shelves #167

    

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature hosted by Reading Reality. It is a chance to showcase all the goodies you've collected throughout the week, whether they're bought on-line or in-store, an ARC or a final copy, borrowed from a friend or the library, physical or digital, etc.


Gifts From ME!

Gifts From Momma

The two books by Mark Sieve are autographed, thanks Mom!

If you have never been to the Minnesota Renaissance Festivalyou are sorely missing out. It is an absolutely fantastic experience; Mom and I attended every year from the time I was about five years old until I went away to college. My attendance has been more sporadic after that, but I still love it dearly and Eleanor got to go for the first time at fourteen months. I have a picture of her in a beautiful purple peasant outfit, gnawing on a turkey leg.

The comedy duo Puke and Snot were always the highlight for me, even as a young child. Mark Sieve (Puke) and Joe Kudla (Snot) began performing at the festival in 1974, first doing mainly improv on the various paths and lanes throughout the MASSIVE grounds. By 1983 their shows attracted audiences so large, it was no longer feasible to continuing performing anywhere but on stage. Sadly, Joe Kudla passed away unexpectedly in 2008 at age 58. The show went on eventually and the act remains a highlight of any visit, though nothing can ever top the original magic Sieve and Kudla brought to the stage. I am sure that Sieve will retire at some point soon, which makes me incredibly sad, but I have the absolute best memories of wonderful summer days spent laughing my face off at their shenanigans.

Library Treasures

Happy Reading!
Sarah

22 comments:

  1. Eleanor of Aquitaine was a great woman. I read a book about her once. I probably should put this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always on the look-out for any text about her, old or new. I am collecting all the books I can find on her for Eleanor to have one day.

      Delete
    2. Of course, I didn't even think about your special link.

      Unfortunately, the book I read "Ich, Eleonore, Königin zweier Reiche" [I, Eleonore, Queen of two Kingdoms" by Sabine Weigand, has not been transtlated into English. See here at Goodreads where you can check from time to time whether there is a translation.

      Delete
    3. The cover is beautiful. Hopefully there will be a translation some day. Then again, if Eleanor learns German, she won't need one!

      Delete
    4. You never know, sometimes they translate books after decades but rarely. However, it might be an encouragement for her to read it one day.

      And yes, the cover is absolutely wonderful.

      Delete
    5. Ah, I did not even look at the pub date. Guess she better start learning German because it won't be out in English.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like FUN - and you got an Eleanor book!!

    Only 3 from me this week (cutting back - lol) with one fiction...

    Fiction:

    A Modern Utopia by H G Wells

    Non-Fiction:

    Active Measures - The Secret History of Disinformation & Political Warfare by Thomas Rid
    D-Day Through German Eyes - How the Wehrmacht Lost France by Jonathan Trigg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I didn't even know Lewis had a new book out already, let alone one about my fave queen ever. He does fantastic research and I enjoy his books - despite the fact that they're mainly about RIII. He is the only Ricardian I think is NOT a crazy weirdo about Richard. Philippa Langley, seriously, that broad is NUTSO.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a Renaissance Festival, but I know people who go every year and love them. I need to find someone to go with me. My family has 0 interest in them. I want to know what the hype is about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so much fun!! One year, I was I think five or six, a co-worker of my mom's also worked at the fair. When we arrived at the castle gates she snatched me up under her arm and started shouting, "Child for sale!" and I have never laughed so much in my life. If you were close to MN I would insist on showing you the absolute best RenFest ever!

      Delete
  4. i've seen them as i rode my bike past, but was put off by the sword play...(lol)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of the Minnesota faire and definitely hope to get there on day. I feel the same way about the Michigan faire and I think the same company owns both?

    Did you read All These Bodies yet? We need to discuss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, I will look up the Michigan one! I love RenFest so much, it is my most fave end-of-summer thing of all-time.

      I am conflicted on All These Bodies. We have A LOT to discuss!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I used to want to join the circuit and live the lifestyle for a while, but I was in college and never did. One of those things... :)

      Oh my gosh the ending!!!!

      Delete
    3. When I was really little I used to think the king and queen were really a king and queen and that they lived their year-round because it was their kingdom. When I was old enough to realize that wasn't true, I still preferred to think that way because it made it all the more magical.

      I know...I don't know. A lot of glaring issues for me throughout. Like, she wouldn't talk to anyone but this kid? And everyone just went along with it? Oi.

      Delete
  6. I have never been to a Renaisance fair! They don't have fun things like that in SA. *sigh*

    I can see you are very excited for all the new books. Yea! Happy reading!


    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever fancy a trip to the US, you must come during the end of summer so you can attend one! (Or at least the Minnesota one because it really is just the very best!)

      Delete
  7. I can just picture a little one how funny and cute a little one would like going to town on a turkey leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my very most favorite pictures of Eleanor ever. She gnawed on the leg and promptly passed out at the joust afterward.

      Delete
  8. glad you had a good time. it does sound like fun
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun, really. Hopefully we can get to it next year. I just don't feel safe yet with Covid, even outside, and Eleanor being too young for the vaccine yet.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!