Saturday, February 28, 2015

How the Irish Saved Civilization

Author: Thomas Cahill

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Review:

I'd give this 3.5 stats if I could (Edit for blog: here I can, because this is my blog! Yay!), as I did like it, and having been to Ireland and seeing some of the ruins makes the book more vivid. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it, as it is difficult to find much on the history solely of Ireland. People seem to be very bothered by the title of the book, but how can you look at the work that was done to preserve the literature and not agree? I especially found the sections in St. Patrick interesting, as so little is known about him and this is the first I've read of anything beyond, "He was a slave, then he became a Christian".

Additionally:

I am forever fascinated by the histories of England, Ireland, and Scotland. I don't just mean medieval times, but the Dark Ages and even before. The problem with this is, there is little to no information about these times in these far-flung places that were so far from the 'civilized' worlds that we do have information about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!