Thursday, March 2, 2017

First Line Friday: Eleanor Edition IV


This week my First Line comes from one of my favorite books on medieval queens - partly because Eleanor is given a lot of attention, and also because I do not personally care much for Elizabeth I and like to see other women who ruled before her, even as consort, given their proper attention.

8474660

I am cheating a bit again, as I am taking my first line from section III, which is where Eleanor's story begins:

"A casual observer at Henry II's court in September 1166 might have been forgiven for thinking that Eleanor of Aquitaine was the most conventional of queens."

I don't know how anyone could have thought that for a moment - especially her contemporaries!

After you leave your first line below, check out what my fellow First Liners have waiting for you this week. If you want to play too, contact Carrie from Reading is my SuperPower.


Rachel - Bookworm Mama




Lauraine - Lauraine's Notes

Andi - Radiant Light


Robin - Robin's Nest


Kathleen - Kathleen Denly


Happy Reading!
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Anna's Crossing
    by Suzanne Woods Fisher

    And the fist line is...

    April 15th, 1737

    "It's a hard crossing, they'd been warned. Eight weeks in a wooden tub with no guarantee they'd ever get there."

    Happy reading and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Heather, thank you for coming by! I am so in awe of people who made that voyage from Europe (or anywhere else) to the US in those centuries. I can't even imagine. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. My first line is: “Preston Tyler lowered his feet from the deck railing & leaned forward as his gaze followed the Jeep pulling up next to the Fontaines’ cabin across the lake.” From Presumed Dead by Angela Ruth Strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these quotes from historical books. :) I enjoy reading non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thank you for coming by! I am glad that you are enjoying them, I love sharing my knowledge of Queen Eleanor :)

      Delete
  4. Lol! Conventional she was NOT! I need to get a copy of this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites. I'm not fond of the term "she-wolves", because I think of the negative connotation of Edward II's wife, Isabella of France (who is also included in the book, but has a full biography dedicated to herself with the same title.) This one actually starts out talking about the death of Edward VI and ends discussing briefly Mary I's reign, then Elizabeth. In between we see the strong women who ruled first, starting with Matilda, daughter of Henry I.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!