Thursday, March 16, 2017

First Line Friday: Eleanor Edition V


It's already Friday, which on one hand is soul-crushing because it means Spring Break is almost over. On the other hand it's neat because I get to share another line about my favorite queen and rebel for First Line Friday.

1890910

This week my line comes from the afore-pictured book, one that is so expensive, I had to use InterLibrary Loan just to get my hands on. Shout out to Western Michigan University for sending it so promptly. No joke, the least expensive copy I have found so far is going for $116 on Amazon, last I checked. I have searched other sites as well, such as the Book Depository, AbeBooks, etc. If you know of another site I could try, please let me know! I have tried so hard to be responsible and not purchase the most expensive of the books, but this one is just so, SO GOOD. I need it for the collection I've created for my daughter. It is already a must-have and I am not entirely done reading it yet. Perhaps I can start a GoFundMe?

I took this week's line straight from the introduction:

"Fixed in many French imaginations as a reverse image of Joan of Arc, Eleanor of Aquitaine still fascinates and puzzles historians of today, who, for many reasons which this book will try to clarify, still seek to penetrate the mystery surrounding her."

I am very tempted to include the whole paragraph following this sentence, but I am REALLY trying to stick to the FIRST LINE thing.

Leave a comment about mine, or share a first line of your own, then head over to the blogs of my fellow First-Liners to see what they have this week:


Rachel - Bookworm Mama




Lauraine - Lauraine's Notes



Robin - Robin's Nest


Kathleen - Kathleen Denly



Happy Reading!
Sarah

16 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    Prologue

    Paige's Journal Entry

    During my time away, I often thought of home.

    Obsession by Rachel Trautmiller This novella is part of the boxed set Smoke and Mirrors: A Romantic Suspense Collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caryl, Happy St Patrick's Day to you too, thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I tried a new author whom Carrie Pagels recommended because she needs reviews, and I am really enjoying it! My first line is: "Young lady, my marital status is none of your concern." from Secrets & Charades by Cindy Ervin Huff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so nice when we fall in love with the books that are recommended to us. Thanks for coming by, Becky. Happy Friday!

      Delete
  3. Oops! I have Carrie on my mind because it's her new website launch today. It was recommended by Elaine Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It is! I hate that this one is SO expensive, because I have to have it. Ugh. Maybe if I go to France and buy it there...but then it will be in French, which I can't read.

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness for inter-library loan! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??!! It has been a life-saver, though it is a bummer that it is really hard to renew some of the ILLs, it all depends on the loaning library and I have one due back so soon :'(

      Delete
  6. First line from a book I finished recently.
    Hillsdale, Michigan February 8, 1856 Midnight
    In ten minutes, the westbound train would reach the town Euphemia Roper once vowed to never set foot in again.
    From Laurie Alice Eakes “Collision Of The Heart”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, thank you for coming by and sharing your line this week. Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I am tempted to ask you for the whole paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask and ye shall receive! It perfectly captures exactly why even 800+ years later, she still has the attention of so many.

      "The main draw, of course, is the extraordinary nature of Eleanor's life: twice queen, mother of three kings, she came into contact with famous churchmen such as Suger, Bernard of Clairvaux and Thomas Becket; travelled to and fro across Europe; lived to be eighty; reigned for sixty-seven years; and produced perhaps eleven or possibly twelve offspring at a time when women often died in childbirth. Even when Eleanor's story is reduced to a few lines of basic facts, that is enough to explain the attraction she exerts, though not to lessen her mystery."

      I may have to use this entire quote in my own book. It is so perfect.

      Delete
  8. Ah, Eleanor! I've seen this book referenced many times, but haven't read it myself.

    Speaking of intriguing, I'm featuring the first line from Terri Blackstock's "If I'm Found" on my blog this week. Fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good - which makes the price tag all the more upsetting :( But I definitely recommend getting a-hold of a copy if you can. Very thorough and well-written.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!