Saturday, June 22, 2019

New Feature! Eleanor Says...Magic Tree House Edition I


In a statement that will surprise no one...Eleanor and I have been reading a TON this summer. She is super into the Magic Tree House books right now and I love them because they give her examples of adventurous, independent kids (who are marginally bratty and whiny in the first couple books, but thankfully that changes quickly). I also love the non-fiction titles that go with them to give kiddos more information about people, places, and events that have most interested them, while still being very kid-friendly.

While I try not to blog too much while Eleanor and I could be doing things like, you know, reading and playing games and building giant forts that take up our entire living room (this is seriously a thing, as I type this post right now), she knows that I write about books I love and loathe, and that I have a blog. I asked if she would like to tell people what she thinks of kids' books, and if we could put her ideas on my blog too and she said yes. We've already been typing up very brief reviews on Goodreads, with Eleanor dictating what she did and did not like in the books we have read so far, and this is the perfect time to let her be part of this blog too. I explained to Eleanor what the star-rating means, and that she can say things she did or did not like in the book, as well as how parts of the story made her feel. She liked the idea and now asks me as soon as we finish a book if we can talk and write about it.

Here are Eleanor's thoughts on a few of our recent reads, straight out of her five year old brain:

824734 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Eleanor Says: It was like a tree house that you only play in, except this one is different because it is magic and you can point to the picture and go there. I liked when the t. rex almost ate them because I like Scotty (Mom edit: the dinosaur currently on display at the Durham is Scotty, I have mentioned this a time or two before...). 

948526 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Eleanor Says: I liked that the knight helped Annie and Jack escape. I just liked all of it.

19732947 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Eleanor Says: I liked this book because it was funny. I like when Annie snuck and took the bear. She saved him. The crowd was cheering, then it was silent.

126574 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Eleanor Says: I love this book very much. They go to Pompeii. Pompeii was by a volcano that exploded. Pompeii got buried in ash. Some people lived and some people died. Jack and Annie had to run so fast to get away as quick as a flash.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent idea - an 'in-house' guest Blogger! [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??!! Eleanor was so excited to talk about her favorites. Anything I can do to prepare her for school and being able to talk and write about a variety of topics! (although I do run the risk of her saying for a third year in a row, "Mom, I already know this stuff!" when I ask about what she is learning in school, lol)

      Delete
  2. I always like seeing how well you are helping her to learn about so many different subjects, people and events through books and days out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying! We also have a a ton of those 'Who Is/Was', 'What Was', 'Where Is/Was' books that are absolutely wonderful and Eleanor is interested in so many of them. I think a variety of fiction and non-fiction on similar topics is great (at this age anyway, haha)

      Delete
  3. I have many kids in my extended family who love these books. Eleanor, I enjoyed your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be so happy to hear that you liked them! I am trying to get her to speak more and more, without much prompting. We have many more to post, as we are sailing through the series

      Delete
  4. These look so adventurous and educational too (in the sense that they stimulate kids' imaginations, I imagine). Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is pretty fun, I like it. Eleanor wants her own tree house though, which could be a problem seeing as we live in a large apartment complex!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!