Monday, September 9, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday | Books on My TBR That I'm Avoiding Reading and Why



Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week is about those books we keep on our TBR's but, for whatever reason, we keep putting them off. I only have one that I am actively avoiding even though it is a critical work and as timely as ever.

767171

When I was younger, I read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the Nazis and WWII. Not so much the military aspects, but the Holocaust. This is one I did not attempt until I was an adult, but once my daughter was born I found I just could not stomach the atrocities as I had done when I was younger. Maybe in part because I still had all the pregnancy hormones flooding my brain, but I could not read without sobbing.

Now my baby is six, and I am still not ready to revisit this one. Perhaps I will not ever be, but I do own a copy now. Previously I was checking it out from the library. But, because it is in high demand, I could only read a little at a time before I had to return it for the next person on hold. Then I would get right back in the hold line again, waiting for my next three weeks to get as far as I could.

Have you read this one? Is it on your TBR? Leave a link to your TTT also and I will be sure to visit.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I have a hard time reading that stuff too, even though it's so important we remember what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, 100%. I especially struggle when it comes to information about the children in the camps, Mengele's experiments, etc. I can't even read and have to skip altogether.

      Delete
  2. I have a long books stack. I got through one last month: Stone Upon Stone. I hope to read at least one more on that pile before the year is up. Either A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth or First Man, a biography of Neil Armstrong. Currently I am reading Black Lamb & Grey Falcon by Rebecca West, 5 pages a day. It is 1150 pages of small print. I may be reading it for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, you will be at it for a while! Maybe you can gradually increase, 6 pages a day, then 7, then 8. Either way, I think you have many, many days to go!

      Delete
  3. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich does sound interesting. I'd find it pretty intense to read, too, though.


    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very intense. The beginning, not so much. But once the Final Solution is in play, I can't. Especially when it comes to Mengele and his experiments. It's gut-wrenching. I have to skip it.

      Delete
  4. I have this book on the TBR pile too. It's not one I'll be reading any time soon. It's kind of one of those, "take it, it's good for you" sort of reads. Like cod liver oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can buddy read it. And sob to each other about how horrible it all is. Cod liver oil is a perfect description.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!