Saturday, April 18, 2020

Book Review | The Body Under the Piano

45865916

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This one started off extremely slow for me and only the fact that I love Agatha Christie's work so much kept me going. Luckily things picked up after the first few chapters once the kids were really on the trail and gathering clues, and it moved along nicely from there.

So what we have here is a young girl named Aggie who has a big imagination and dreams of being a writer. In fact, throughout the novel we are privy to Aggie's inner thoughts whenever she is confronted with a particular situation and how she would handle it if it were a scene she was writing in her book. I loved these little asides and it is easy to believe that the Queen of Crime doing just such a thing herself. Aggie loves adventure, but is still reeling from the loss of her father, whom she loved so dearly. Two major incidents occur that both turn Aggie's world upside down, and help her to right it again. First, she meets a young refugee from Belgium named Hector Perot. Then Aggie herself discovers a dead body at the studio where she takes dance classes. Aggie is certain that her beloved dance teacher is innocent of the crime which she has been accused of, and she and Hector set off to find the real murderer.

Besides being a charming little whodunit, and a great introduction into the brilliant world of Agatha Christie, the book does so well in portraying England in the early 20th century. The author weaves together several aspects of the period and blends together a myriad of issues into a cohesive story. We see not just the police at work at the turn of the century, but all kinds of issues that would have impacted the lives of children like Aggie and Hector. Women's rights are a major issue addressed at various times and I liked seeing it through the eyes of twelve year old Aggie, in that she kind of gets it, but also finds those championing the cause to be a bit odd and out of place. Sexism itself is also addressed in various ways. We also see reactions of the villagers to the idea of 'foreigners' and the bigotry that comes with it, in regards to Hector. Only grudgingly and bit by bit is Aggie even allowed to see her new friend, until they are truly off and running headfirst into the murder mystery. We feel deeply for Hector, being so far from home and being looked at suspiciously. Luckily he finds such a good friend in Aggie. These topics and others are not pushed aside, and are accurate depictions of the period. The author's research shines in this regard.

I enjoyed following Aggie and Hector as they followed the clues, despite repeated warnings from practically every adult for them to stop meddling in the investigation. The duo were logical without it feeling forced, they made decisions that children would make, and they certainly made mistakes along the way. That in itself was refreshing to see.

Not only do I think upper elementary/middle schoolers would enjoy this, but adult Christie fans may get a kick out of it as well. Along the way there are little nods to her works and I enjoyed those immensely. I looked forward to the second book in the series.

Highly recommended.

8 comments:

  1. I never got the Agatha Christie bug. I am not sure I ever will but I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read And Then There Were None for a class in high school and was hooked. I have not read everything she has ever written, not even close, but I am working on it slowly but surely. ATTWN is such a perfect novel, I don't think there is anything better. This story was a very nice nod to that and I hope to introduce Eleanor to Dame Agatha in a few years via this series.

      Delete
  2. I love Agatha Christie books and even stories about her life. I will have to snag this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this one for sure then! Of course it is only an imaging of what she might have been like as a child, but I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. I don't tend to go for cosy mysteries however this does sound fun and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good cozy, and this was a perfect blend of cozy kid mystery fun. The cover is what first caught my eye before I knew it was Dam Agatha-related!

      Delete
  4. i really liked the sound of this, being a big AC fan myself; she had the touch... but i just looked it up on Abe and they want almost 14$ for it so i guess i'll wait until the library reopens, if it ever does... interesting post, tx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get to enjoy it soon, it was a lot of fun, thanks for reading!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!