Thursday, December 5, 2019

Books From The Backlog #23



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
19047864

Why did I add The Devil in the Shape of a Woman to my TBR?

Because something truly horrific happened all over Colonial New England, and elsewhere, and the victims deserve to be remembered.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

9 comments:

  1. i don't read a lot of nonfiction books, but this sounds like an interesting one
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that it was such a different era, but it still baffles me how an entire village can go bat-shit crazy and just start executing (mostly) women on the say-so of little and not-so-little girls. I'd like to shake a few of them, knock some sense into them.

      Delete
  2. I read a few Salem Witch Trial books when I visited Salem for my first time. Yeah, this was a dark spot of history for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you've been there! I would love to visit someday, when my daughter is older. She loves Hocus Pocus (as do I, we watch it year-round), and when she is older i want to teacher her about how this is a real place where women really were accused of being witched and hanged, etc - not quite suitable for a six year old!

      Delete
  3. Wow I bet that's super fascinating. and rage- inducing probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but I am going to read it anyway! I can sometimes still be quite charming even when I am rage-y, haha

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I love a good witch trial book. A neglected book for me would be The System of the World, the final volume of Neal Stephenson's historical fiction trilogy set in the 1700s. I hope to get to it early in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fabulous! I have always been interested in how this happened. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!