Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Well That Escalated Quickly...

As I'm sure is true in pretty much every district in the US (hopefully), our schools have now been closed indefinitely. My district was on spring break last week, and were informed then that the district would be closed this week as well. Then yesterday we received word that schools are now closed with no return date, and the situation will be re-evaluated every two weeks. I hope we can return before the end of the year. I can't imagine not getting to say good-bye to these kids I love so much, before they move on to seventh grade.

I worry about my students, as I teach Resource and my kiddos can't afford to miss school. These final two and a half months are just as important as the first two and a half. I worry so much about all the things they still need to learn - how math just keeps building and building on previous concepts, and they're already struggling with the things we have just learned, how will they go on to 7th grade math without these two months' worth of  additional skills? And what about those who struggle with the writing process, who need practice and encouragement in exploring their ideas, shaping their narratives, editing, revising, the whole sha-bang? And for me kids who have great comprehension, but read slowly and struggle with decoding? or those who are great readers but can't tell me what they just read? My anxiety level goes through the roof just thinking about all I still have to teach them before they leave sixth grade.

BUT, this is absolutely what must happened. I regularly speak with my good friend I mentioned in my previous post, the one who lives in Italy and is due to have her baby April 5th, but could go at any time. She sees what is happening in the US and is concerned, because she said so many people in Italy first thought as so many here did - it's no big deal, just the flu.

Side note: if you are still peddling the bullshit about it being 'just the flu', how about shut up already, okay?

She hopes our measures will be enough, but my friends in the medical field are worried that it is not enough and that it is already too late. I don't want to be an alarmist, but we have to face reality - people are carrying the virus. showing no symptoms, and infecting others. This 'social distancing' is going to save lives - if these stupid, healthy young people would just stop congregating in massive groups.

Side note: Stop telling Millennials to go home, stay away from bars, etc. Everyone seems to forget we are grown now, the bulk of us in our mid-late 30s, early 40s. It's the generation AFTER us that you need to be lecturing, thankyouverymuch. 

So, until time unfreezes and we can return to our new normal, I am keeping Eleanor's schedule as normal as possible. We are getting out for walks, reading, writing, math-ing, science-ing and social studies-ing. I am really proud of my district for getting learning materials together for students to do for the next three weeks, and they plan to put together more learning packets now to prepare for schools remaining closed beyond that.

I am a certified teacher with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education (K-6) and a Master's Degree in Special Education (K-6 Mild/Moderate Disabilities, K-6 Learning Disabilities, and K-12 Behavior Disorders/Emotional Disturbance).

If you need any assistance with helping your child with work while they are home, please ask! I will do my very best to answer any questions, guide instruction, recommend more resources and websites, whatever I can do to help.

We've got this. We will be okay.

Sincerely,
Sarah and Eleanor

20 comments:

  1. Not that it directly affects me but we expect schools to start closing here in the next few weeks. Today at work we were told "if you don't *need* to be in office then work from home". I'll be in tomorrow (along with 2 others) to cover some things off but then I'm gone mostly until the end of next week when I leave anyway. It's going to be damned weird finishing this way!

    All of my other plans are on hold. Essentially for the foreseeable future I'll be at home reading, blogging, watching movies and learning stuff off YouTube. Could be worse I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a weird way to end your time there - so much for a retirement party! I am surprised schools are not closed there yet, have they put a curfew on vars and restaurants yet? Or closed them altogether? Boris didn't seem to be handling this well last week, how is he doing now? Be well!

      Delete
    2. We're *hoping* to reschedule my Retirement drinks/meal for the summer if things calm down a bit. They're not letting me go *that* easily! Wales & Scotland have just announced school closures from Friday so England *had* the follow - which it just has. They'll have a real impact on forcing people to be at home. We've been advise not to go to pubs or restaurants and a lot of them are shut - as are cinemas and other mass public places. We're hunkering down and waiting now.

      I'm working from home for the rest of the week and for most of next too. I just *have* to go back in one day to hand back my work laptop & cellphone.

      I'm well ATM. Long may it continue. I hope you're well too & your daughter is already on the road to recovery.

      Delete
    3. Oh good, I hope that by this summer, we are able to come out of our homes again and try to return to normal life. Yesterday I was reading reports that predictions say this could last another 18 months. I hope not, that is untenable. People are already going crazy.

      Glad you are well, stay that way! Eleanor is back to her old self again. just has this silly runny nose. She is liking the homeschool thing so far, hopefully that feeling lasts!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more. shut it all down because the we're still only seeing the tip of the iceberg and this virus is probably spreading like wildfire with this incubation/ asymptomatic period and everything else. You'd think people would have gotten the memo by now! Anyway stay safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my biggest worries, plus these young healthy idiots running around spreading the virus and assuming they don't have it just because they don't have symptoms. It is absolutely here, and so many more people are sick than we will ever know about. I am proud of state and local governments for stepping up when trump has failed so miserably. I can't even with him at all, saying he always knew this was a big deal, when just weeks ago he was calling it a Democratic hoax. Fuck that guy.

      Delete
  3. i 'd like to take your Resources course; it would do me a lot of good i have no doubt... too late, tho... i went over to the library with four large boxes of books i was going to donate only to discover that they'd decided to close. indefinitely. so i had to cart them all back home again. i should have left them on the sidewalk for whoever wanted them... darn; maybe i'll do that tomorrow... you're so right about the latent kick from the pandemic... i'll probably get it, i usually do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! We will be reviewing multiplying and dividing fractions, deciding author's purose, and writing a personal narrative with an introduction, three main ideas and supporting details, and a conclusion!

      You could make a 'free little library' of your books, so people out on walks can find something to read. Our libraries have all closed too. Please don't get sick!

      Delete
  4. i don't have any young children and have isolated myself for more than a week now. it's wonderful that you are offering to share and help others
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want to be helpful and I know today's curriculum is so different from the way we learned growing up - especially math. I abhor Common Core but also realize that schools are supposed to teach that way (hopefully this will change in the future!) Even so, I will do my best to explain anything and help in any way!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, schools have all been closed here in Ontario for a week or two now. This is an unsettling time. Your offer is a generous one! I hope you'll be able to help everyone who asks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Teaching is hard and I know how overwhelmed a lot of parents are right now, so I hope I can be of help.

      It is unsettling, indeed. I worry what will happen when people really start panicking. I hope it does not come to that. When trucks can no longer deliver food...I don't even want to think about it. If these idiots would just stay home and not keep spreading the virus, we might have a chance.

      Delete
  6. Our schools here in Texas are closed also. I feel for the parents of young kids who must now struggle with their care while possibly still holding down jobs. It's a challenging time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hope that we can get this bipartisan legislation passed so that we can get money directly into the hands of those who need it. I wish that there could just be a freeze on all debt or something, so that families can keep themselves upright.

      Delete
  7. The UK just announced it was closing schools, indefinitely, from Friday 20th. I'm lucky in that I can WFH (pre-outbreak I worked from home every Friday) but WFH for more than a couple of days at a time is extremely difficult but that's what I need to do now... I don't blame you for worrying about your students. My husband and I are both advanced graduates working in a STEM organisation but the thought of having to teach the little dude is slightly terrifying. The school is putting together some resources but until we get into it, I have no idea how it'll work. So many unknowns and I really feel for the parents that can't work from home so have to find childcare AND worry about how to keep educating their kids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And on the Millennial comment... Agree 100% It's roasting my nuts when people are bad mouthing millennials when they are actually talking about the generation Z.

      I'm finding my fellow millennials to be remarkably sane and measured during this situation, lol.

      Delete
    2. Please forgive my two-part comment. I have a thing about not liking odd numbers and I know it is weird but I can't help it...

      Delete
    3. The prospect of all these parents having to teach is scary, and what is even worse is that so many simply can not or will not do it or make it a priority. We will officially be out of school now through April 30th. I am looking forward to continue to homeschool Eleanor (my dream) but I miss my students and I just want to hug them and tell them I love them and how proud I am of all the gains they've made this year. A friend suggested I send them snail mail, and I think that is a fantastic idea, and it will seem so much more personal than email.

      How old is your son? If you need help with resources or materials, let me know!

      Delete
  8. With your qualifications, Eleanor is in good hands! I admire your offer to help other parents. Last week, on FaceTime, my great niece read her latest short story to me. She is nine years old and I was blown away by how good it was. Then she and her sister took me on a tour of the "hospital" they had set up in their playroom. No worries about those two but I feel for all the kids who will get behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, I really appreciate that! <3

      I too worry about those who will fall behind - or who are already behind and will only fall further. So many of my students will fall into the latter group and I am devastated to know that we likely will not return for the rest of the school year. Today and tomorrow and Monday parents are able to come pick up their children's belongings, and Eleanor's school is doing the same next week. This has truly made the situation so real. It breaks my heart.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!