Friday, October 11, 2019

Books From The Backlog #15



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
12101738

Why did I add Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty to my TBR?

Because she deserves to have her story told accurately and not through the BULLSHIT LENS OF PHILIPPA GREGORY AND ALL HER NONSENSE. Because I love all things Tudors (except those nasty Boleyns, and books by Gregory, obviously). Because, because, because.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

6 comments:

  1. Well okay then! I've looked at Philippa Gregory's books a few times- I take it you don't recommend? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord no! Never. Never, never, never, unless you want complete trash that in no way even resembles historical fiction!! :)

      Delete
  2. I too want to know why you disapprove so strongly of Phillipa Gregory. I did not get to any neglected books from the backlog. Just keeping up with my reading group books this week, one of which was totally great and one I am struggling with. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, she greatly stretches the bounds of what could be called 'historical fiction'. I don't even refer to her books as such, because she veers so sharply away from even the facts we DO know. The Other Boleyn Girl is a prime example. I am absolutely #TeamCatherine all the way, and yet I can unequivocally the way Gregory depicted Anne and her brother and the whole of her short reign was absolutely rubbish. She should not be allowed to call her stuff historical fiction at all.

      Delete
  3. I didn't buy anything, but I had a couple of fun books come in from library holds: The Ice at the End of the World, which I've finished already, and The Hidden Life of Trees, which I'm devouring now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!