Wednesday, December 27, 2023

State of the ARC #61

State of the ARC is a monthly feature hosted by Evelina at Avalinah's Books - and now me, too! I took over temporary hosting duties back in early 2020. A couple months ago Evelina asked if I would like to co-host and of course I said yes! If you are new to the meme, you can check out the guidelines HERE.

Links go to my review. The majority of the ARCs I receive are through NetGalley. I sometimes find a book or two via Edelweiss or BookSirens. Others have come from authors, publicists, or were offered to me from a publisher who specifically approved me for it on NetGalley; I will always note in the review how I acquired the ARC.

Currently Reading

Gun Barons - May, 2022 (NetGalley)
Urban Nomad - Aug, 2022 (Publicist Gift)
Egypt's Golden Couple - Nov, 2022 (Publicist via NetGalley)
The Blackhouse - Jan, 2023 (NetGalley)
A Few Days Full of Trouble - Jan, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)
I Know Who You Are - Feb, 2023 (NetGalley)
Glow in the Fucking Dark - Feb, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)
Henry VIII - April, 2023 (NetGalley)
Let This Radicalize You - May, 2023 (Publisher Gift)
The Summer of 1876 - May, 2023 (Publisher via NetGalley)
The Sweating Sickness Epidemic - May, 2023 (NetGalley)
Arthur, Prince of Wales - May, 2023 (NetGalley)
Clan Battles - June, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Girls of Summer - June, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)
Life in Victorian Era Ireland - Aug, 2023 (NetGalley)
Crime and Punishment in Tudor England - Aug, 2023 (NetGalley)
Broadmoor Inmates - Aug, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Kingmaker's Women - Aug, 2023 (NetGalley)
How to Dress Like a Tudor - Sept, 2023 (NetGalley)
Worst Medieval Monarchs - Sept, 2023 
The Society for Soulless Girls - Sept, 2023 (NetGalley)
Monumental Lies - Sept, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Clapham Train Incident - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
UFO Science - Oct, 2023 (Author Gift)
Royal Mysteries of the Tudor Period - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
West Heart Kill - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Night House - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Rosewood Hunt - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Last Outlaws - Nov, 2023 (NetGalley)
Win Lose Kill Die - Nov, 2023 (NetGalley)
Following Caesar - Dec, 2023 (NetGalley)
God Save Benedict Arnold - Dec, 2023 (Gift via NetGalley)
The Heiress - Jan, 2024 (Publicist via NetGalley)
Wolves of Winter - Jan, 2024 (Author Gift via NetGalley)
A Place for Vanishing - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
Cold Crematorium - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
Through the Morgue Door - Feb, 2024 (NetGalley)
A Midnight Puzzle - Mar, 2024 (NetGalley)
Under This Red Rock - Mar, 2024 (NetGalley)
The Mystery Writer - Mar, 2024 (NetGalley)
Dark Parts of the Universe - Apr, 2024 (NetGalley)
A History of the World in 12 Shipwrecks - Apr, 2024 (NetGalley)

Finished, Review to Come

Sweating in the Land of Smiles - July 2021 (Author Gift)
Skirts - Sept, 2022 (NetGalley)
American Demon - Sept, 2022 (NetGalley)
Nothing but the Night - Sept, 2022 (NetGalley)
The Tudors in Love - Dec, 2022 (NetGalley)
The Night in Question - May, 2023 (NetGalley)
Expletives Not Deleted - May, 2023 (Author Gift)
The Return of the Ripper? - May, 2023 (NetGalley)
The Women of Rothschild - Oct, 2022 (NetGalley)
Dead of Winter - July, 2023 (NetGalley)
Henry VIII's Children - May, 2023 (NetGalley)
Thin Air - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
Let Him In - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
Suddenly a Murder - Sept, 2023 (NetGalley)
After You Vanished - Aug, 2023 (NetGalley)
Tangled Vines - Aug, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)
The Clinic - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
The Hitler I Knew - June, 2023 (NetGalley)
Last Girl Breathing - Nov, 2023 (NetGalley)
No One Can Know - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
Who Haunts You - Sept, 2023 (NetGalley)
Don't Look Back - Oct, 2023 (NetGalley)
That's Not My Name - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
The Merciless King of Moore High - Apr, 2024 (NetGalley)
The One that Got Away with Murder - Apr, 2024 (NetGalley)

DNF

My Husband's Lies - Nov, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)
Twenty-Seven Minutes - Jan, 2024 (NetGalley)
Off the Air - Mar, 2024 (Publicist via NetGalley)

Review or Feedback Sent

My Husband's Lies - Nov, 2023 (Publicist via NetGalley)

When I first started blogging my monthly State of the ARC I felt like I was drowning in ARCs. My main goal was to get my NetGalley feedback ratio above 80% and thanks to SOTA, I slowly but surely clawed my way up. At my highest I was at 97%. I am currently at 77%.

How are you doing with your ARC goals? Let's talk ARCs!

Happy Reading
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Nice mix as usual. Soulless Girls, UFO's !!! , The Heiress...

    Twenty seven Minutes looks great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am REEEEEALLY focusing on ARCs for the last few days of the year, and it will beone of goals for 2024. This is so bad, my NetGalley ratio is down to 77% because I have no shelf control.

      I was so psyched for Twenty-Seven Minutes, it looked and sounded exactly like something both of us would love. I got to 54% and DNF-ed it because it was SO BORING. Literally NOTHING was happening except every point of view taking about 'secrets' and 'what happened' and blah blah blah. Could not wait to the end to find out what the hub-bub was about because by that point I did not care.

      Delete
    2. Aw that sucks. Some of those books that sound sooo good fail. It's like they're so busy coming up with a great premise or blurb but don't deliver...

      Delete
    3. That's how I feel about this one for sure. I don't know if it was an attempt at a slow burn, but it did not work at all. And none of the characters were very interesting. It was so boring that I just did not care enough about anyone. I have read a couple paranormal thrillers and some YA the last couple days you might like though. I'll be posting about them, and maybe some review too finally, lol

      Delete
  2. I've got quite a few ARCs to get through at the start of the year. There's so many good ones coming out in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! And part of my problem is that there are a couple publishers I am auto-approved for, or who automatically grant all my NetGalley 'wishes', so it is very dangerous for me. I have to get it under control. My big focus in 2024 will be ARCs and the TBR.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!