Sunday, January 12, 2020

Book Review | One of Us Is Next, or, Karen McManus Gives Me a Heart Attack

45932891. sy475

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Obviously.

Except, not totally. There is always the chance that the sequel will almost-but-not-quite live up to the hype and expectations. Even so, I was so willing to bet that this book would be my second five star read of the year (Daisy Jones was my first, go figure), that I SPENT MONEY on it.

If you missed out on my earlier ramblings, let me clarify: I very, very rarely buy books. Or, at least, at full price. I struggle big time with two things - space to keep all the books I want (we live in an apartment), and the fact that I pretty much refuse to spend more than $1.99 on a book I can't even smell. I WILL NOT purchase Kindle books that cost more than that. Period. End of story.

So, this was not a problem because I requested One of Us Is Next from the library and became 15th in line on four copies. I tweeted to my library and asked if they would purchase a couple more, and they agreed! I became 15th on six copies. No problem, I was doing fine, release date was coming up, I was posting about Next a lot. 

And then...

One of Us Is Lying was on Amazon for $1.99 (and might still be). OBVIOUSLY I could not pass up owning it at that price, and decided to re-read it in preparation for Next. I reread it in a couple hours, and even stayed up way too late doing so. Oh well. Worth it. The thing is though, even as I inched closer to getting Next, I was sitting at ninth. Nine on six copies is not terrible, but my brain started telling me that that's an awfully long time to wait - and who the hell are these people that let books sit on the hold shelf for days?!?! ESPECIALLY when it is THIS book that we have been waiting for for YEARS! Okay, not like, years years, but a couple.

Before I knew it, One of Us Is Next was at home on my Kindle and I plowed through it in a couple of hours. It was worth every penny.

There's so much I want to talk about, but I can't. If I do, I will inevitably give away spoilers and I do not want to do that. When a few blogger friends convinced me to try One of Us Is Lying, I took a look at Goodreads and some reviews, and accidentally read one that had no spoiler warning on it, so I knew what happened to Simon before I even cracked open the book. I have tried to be so, so careful even on Twitter, but I know I have failed a little bit when it comes to giving away some things even though I tried not to. I was caught up in the moment, and Tweeting at McManus, who always so graciously responds, encouraging and terrifying me with said responses.

I can say this, however: the book is worth the time and money. So worth it. I appreciated the fact that even though the main cast had changed (Maeve is now a narrator, along with two new characters named Knox and Phoebe), Bronwyn, Nate, Cooper, and Addy are still very much apart of the story and we see them from time to time.

I did not feel like the story was forced or contrived in any way, like sequels can be sometimes. It wasn't far-fetched at all, especially in the world of copy-cats that we have seen in the last twenty years since Columbine. I will say that I had one character in mind as being involved in what was happening, but was not sure of the extent of their involvement right up until it was explained. The other who came to be involved was an interesting surprise and I did not guess their identity, and was waaaay off with the guesses I did make. I truly can't say anything else because it will give the story away. And as always, as McManus does so well, there is a delicious twist at the end that I did not see coming. Like, totally left-field and it fit. It fit perfectly.

Over the last few months McManus has Tweeted about the book prior to the release. She had me all up in a tizzy about certain characters who I really love and had to worry about big time and the thing that I was dreading happened and I KNEW IT even though I didn't WANT to know it and when it happened I was all like "AAAUUUGGGHH!!" to her on Twitter and she was all like, "I apologize" back. *Sigh*.

I need a third book. It can be done, and McManus can do it well. She has not failed us yet, and if she chooses to make this into a trilogy, it will be great.

Highly highly recommended.

14 comments:

  1. I am really excited about this one. I'm glad it lived up to your expectations, and it's great we get some updates on the original cast.

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did, and I am so glad that it was so worth the wait. It helped having Maeve as a narrator this time around, so we heard about the others even when they weren't in the story directly. But, they are around at various times also. It was a great mix of old and new, though I am partial to the originals.

      Delete
  2. I got this on the day of release for my daughter’s birthday which was the same day, .the Australian copy has blue coloured edges, she started reading it the second I gave it to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good girl, I hope she loved it!! I think the Australia cover might be the same as the UK one? It doesn't have the faces like the US ones, does it?

      Delete
  3. I have to admit I only skimmed your review because I haven't yet read this one. Seeing that 5 star rating made me so excited, though! My library needs to hurry up and get me a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read the whole thing, because it is totally spoiler-free! I did not want to ruin the book for anyone, and we have waited for so long. I hope you love it as much as I do!!

      Delete
  4. everything about this post had me cracking up, from the title to your review. now i'm going to have to check the library. lol
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good!! Both books are so, so good. The first is my fave, because I love those characters so much, but the sequel did such a great job including them while introducing new ones. I reeeeeally hope this becomes a trilogy, I need more of my faves. When you get around to reading it, let me know!!

      Delete
  5. I have not read McManus but she sounds like a writer whose acquaintance I should make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Such a good set, the first is my fave but both are really, really good. I hope you love them!!

      Delete
  6. I am so glad to get reacquianted with these characters (and meet the new ones) and I love that your guesses were wrong. Not that I'm glad they were wrong per se, but you know, that the twists weren't super obvious. :) I have this one now and will gush about it to you shortly I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not obvious! Looking back, there were clues, so pretty much pay attention to EVERYTHING, lol. Are you finished with it yet??!!

      Delete
  7. I love how you are so passionate about books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!