Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Book Review | Ghosted

38601377. sy475

Rating ⭐⭐

This is definitely not the typical 'thriller' type fiction I have been reading lately, because it is not a thriller at all. But there was still a mystery and I just had to know what happened.

Sarah and Eddie had what are repeatedly described as six wonderful/perfect/amazing days together, and the Eddie disappears. Sarah has been ghosted and she goes to great lengths to find out why. She believes something has happened to Eddie, that what they had in that short time was real, and he would never simply ghost her and never contact her again. At the end of this time together, Eddie is off on a vacation that he had booked before they met. He tells Sarah he will call from the airport, but never does. He ignores all attempts that Sarah makes to reach him and drives her to the brink of insanity. Okay, to be fair the 'insanity' part is my interpretation, because was pretty crazy-obsessed. She continued insisting to her friends that what they had was real, that it was not just her feeling this way, etc. Her friends continue to tell Sarah to forget about him and move on, but she can't. Sarah believes there is an explanation, and that she deserves to know said explanation. She won't stop until she gets it. Despite sharing so much of their histories one another in those six days, there is one event neither discuss and that is the very thing that links them together beyond this chance meeting, in quite an awful way.

So this one took me forever to even figure out how to rate. I honestly kept going only because I wanted to know why Eddie ghosted her. It is important to note that these are two adults in their late 30s. Both behaved in the most immature of ways. If we could have seen more of the 'relationship' develop in those few days, maybe I would feel differently about Sarah's behavior once Eddie had ghosted. Maybe the author wanted us to just trust her that they had fallen in love so quickly and so intensely, and by trusting that we could then just believe it to be totally realistic in the way they both acted afterward. We get little snippets of their time together, but that's it. Sarah comes across as a super whiny stage-five clinger and Eddie is the douche that never called. If they had been twenty years younger, I probably would not have found the behavior by either of them as ridiculous. However, being in that age range myself of late-30s, I was absolutely put off by Sarah's obsession with getting the truth from Eddie. There was no way for the reader to understand their connection, because we did not see it develop. I honestly did not care one way or another if they actually ended up together, I just wanted to see how it all played out.

Given the thrillers I have read lately, and those I have loved in the past, I found myself hoping that Sarah would turn out to be one of my most favorite kinds of characters - the unreliable narrator. At least then we would have some kind of reason for her level of obsession with a guy she only knew for six days. Sadly, this was not the case. She is simply a 19 year old trapped in a 39 year old body. Too bad.

In the end the story comes together, but man it was a slog to get there. I would not consider this romance at all, because there is no romance to be seen. It is a bit of a mystery, but not the thriller-y kind at all. I don't really know how to classify it, to be honest.

One thing the author did well was showing how the different characters connected to the BIG SECRET responded in their grief. Grief looks so different on everyone, and that is at least one positive I can give for this book.

While it is not a book I am going to jump up on a soapbox and recommend to everyone, I am sure there is an audience for it. I am just not part of that audience.

14 comments:

  1. Sad that all this takes place because of immaturity. They don't sound like the kind of characters I want to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you would have the patience for it either, it was pretty terrible. I could not believe the lengths she went to to try to find out what was wrong.

      Delete
  2. i'm also not an audience... people today seem to be writing books as a kind of therapy: dealing with their problems while making money at the same time? great idea for all except for readers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally believe that. Go to a therapist instead, stop releasing such drivel on the world. Blech.

      Delete
  3. Too bad this one was a disappointment, but you are right - no doubt there are readers out there who will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the age group who the characters acted like they were a part of - though honestly that might even be an insult to nineteen year olds.

      Delete
  4. Ha, ha! I have to agree with mudpuddle and I also agree with what you said in your review. Books and movies seem to be written for people in a state of arrested adolescence. It's not the kind of book I'd read anyway (I'm not even sure what "ghosted" means), but I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I was searching my brain for the right phrase, and arrested adolescence describes this perfectly. You definitely would not like it based on everything else I have seen on your book blog. Ghosted is slang for someone who straight-up disappears and cuts off all communication without explanation or warning.

      Delete
  5. I did not know that term, ghosted, meant that. So I enjoyed learning it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have met some people in their 40's that still act like teenagers but I know exactly what you mean. I have seen some good and some not so good reviews for this one and I am not sure if it is not for me. I don't think that I will be rushing to read it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have way too many great books on your Backlog list to deal with this nonsense any times soon. Maybe if you get into a slump and need something to knock you back onto your reading path, then maybe try this.

      Delete
  7. I read this one awhile ago and agree with what you said. While reading, I kept forgetting the ages of the characters. I just couldn't wrap my mind around Sarah and her obsession with getting an explanation. This one seemed to drag on for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Especially when she shows up at the soccer game and goes into the locker room or whatever. Like, seriously. STOP.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!