Sunday, May 31, 2020

Special Feature | Eleanor Reads! COVID-19 May Edition


It will come as a surprise to literally no one that Eleanor and I have both done a pretty solid amount of reading since school has been closed. May 21st was the last day of the school year and I officially have a second grader. We will still be working on school material over the summer, but much more leisurely now. I figured we might as well, since all the places we love to visit during the summer have taken the position of remaining closed until further notice - no matter what our idiot governor says or does (he's one of the select "special" ones who decided to never issue a stay-at-home-order. He's terrible.)

Here Eleanor and I are going to share the books we have read together each month. At first I was only going to do this during the school closure, but I think I will continue and make it a monthly thing, looking back at what we read together.

 We've been reading chapter books since before Kindergarten and her attention span as a four year old is something to brag about. Eleanor was born a reader and that makes my heart so, so happy.

51974988. sx318 sy475 26109367 42266735 22727103 13330536 33296616. sy475 39906996 39983570 18927684 20360030 52383178. sx318 sy475

We read fewer books this month, only because the Descendants chapter books are much longer than our typical ones. But Eleanor is OBSESSED with the Descendants, and the books and movies are fun, so no big deal.

Do the kiddos in your life have an interest in any of these?

Happy Reading,
Eleanor and Sarah

12 comments:

  1. no, the kids in my life are 48 and 52 haha... i think it's great you're taking care of yourselves by isolating; viruses don't play favorites, after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, what about great grand kids?? :) I take Eleanor out as little as possible and try to do all our grocery shopping when she is at her dad's house. I did attend a protest last night but wore a mask for most of the time. I had no contact with anyone, and no one around me was sneezing or coughing, except from the tear gas. We continue to pray for protection and I have to trust that when we do have to go out, those prayers and all of our precautions with masks, sanitizer, constant hand-washing, and showers as soon as we get home are enough

      Delete
  2. It is so nice when kids are readers. Love the looks of those mermaid books and Magic Treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are super into mermaids right now. And always Magic Tree House. We seriously have TONS of chapter books for us to read that are piled up waiting next to my chair...yet on I think Wednesday Eleanor decided this was the perfect time to finish every Magic Tree House book we had not read yet. So...here we are, lol

      Delete
  3. I love that she has an interest in both the important topics of history and mermaids! Thank you for continuing to inspire your young reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, yes! It has warmed my non-fiction-loving heart that she wants to read all of the fact trackers that go with the Magic Tree House books! We also have a lot of the WHQ books, the series the Twin Towers book is from. I hope she loves to read always <3

      Delete
  4. You are super to read with your young gal and I love seeing her picks. Magic Treehouse is great. I haven't read with kids for several years since they grew up and got the bug to read alone, but great nieces and nephews are coming into reading age so maybe... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor has such varied interests and I love seeing what catches her attention! She is starting to read alone more often (going to be in second grade in the fall), but still loves snuggling up for lots of stories.

      Delete
  5. Great selection. I am reading a collection of Irish fairy and folk tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! One of my good friends sent Eleanor a wonderful old copy of Grimms Fairy Tales. We are slowly working through it - as you might know the stories are quite different now ;)

      Delete
  6. I hover at 80% no matter what on Netgalley. I read/review and then request/accept more books, lol! I'd love to get to 97%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great to be at such a high ratio and I was so proud of myself. And now...blech! But, I always make progress when my daughter is at her dad's house for a weekend, I read and review like crazy to make the time go by faster. Feel free to jump in on State of the Arc any time!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!