Tuesday, December 29, 2020

2020 Reading Goals | Oops, I Did It Again...

I find that every year I put less and less pressure on myself in regards to reading goals, because I love reading and writing and blogging and the minute it becomes a job, it isn't fun anymore. I am not nearly as hard on myself as I used to be about getting goals met.

1. Read 275 Books - SUCCESS! In total I have read 480 books this year. 199 of those were chapter books with Eleanor, which you can find in my monthly Eleanor Reads wrap-ups. I read 281 books for myself. Yay!

2. Reduce My TBR - SUCCESS! I have gotten my TBR total down below 3,000 and I am so happy about this. I may not have gotten the big numbers that I did last year (still have one more Tackling the TBR to do before I know the final counts), but all that matters is the forward progress. You can see my 2020 weekly progress HERE.

3. MORE PRESIDENTS - MASSIVE FAIL! This goal is pretty much dead. I will continue to keep track of president books that I read, but I will no longer make it a goal.

4. Write Reviews - SUCCESS/FAIL! I am not even going to pretend that this was equal amounts of success and failure. Luckily, I have written enough reviews that my Upcoming Reviews is not topping 300. At the start of 2020 I had 190 books waiting to be reviews. As of December 28th, 2020 I have about 230. Considering the fact that I read 281 books this year, I can't complain too much. This goal will carry over into 2021 for sure.

5. Meet More Book Bloggers - SUCCESS! I have met so many new bloggers this year, and I love it. It's nice to have a happy little tribe who I look forward to hearing from daily/weekly, whose blogs I enjoy also.

6. DNF MORE! - SUCCESS! I ended up DNF-ing 25 books this year.

Overall I feel like this was a really great year in reading and blogging. It felt a lot more fun again, and less like a chore.

Did you set any reading goals for yourself this year? Let me know in the comments or leave a link to your own post.

Happy Reading and Happy New Year!
Sarah

12 comments:

  1. Well done with your goals! Majority success is a definite win, especially considering the year we've just had!

    I haven't compiled my goals/challenge numbers yet but I'm confident this year was a super mixed bag for me... Next year, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to bother with formal challenges. I have some personal goals (acquire less books than I read + clear off some of the backlist!) but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised with how successful I actually was. I think I will also skip any formal challenges as well. I like my personal goals and get super competitive with myself - it gets pretty ugly sometimes so I won't subject anyone else to that side of me, lol

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your goal, especially books read! My usual goal is 150, which I hit. I also needed to finish off the Classics Club, which I did, and I needed to tackle my own TBR, which I call "Mount Doom" because it's mostly a literal stack of books on my bed's headboard bookcase that towers over my head and threatens to kill me in my sleep if it falls. I read....close to 30 titles, I think -- far more than my goal of 12. I'm thinking I can knock the pile off entirely in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being home from mid-March though July really helped Eleanor and I read a TON! Join me for Tackling the TBR! You don't have to do it weekly, you could do it monthly if you want. If there is enough interest I might do a linky so everyone can join together. I hope that your books don't kill you in your sleep! Although, as a #BookDragon, it would be an acceptable way to go...

      Delete
  3. i'm continually making plans and then forgetting about them, so it's all a well-considered program of serendipity for me... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I am keeping it super simple going into 2021. Three goals for me, involving total books read, reducing TBR, and getting reviews done. Nothing formal!

      Delete
  4. I'm always happy if even 50% of my years goals get off the ground. I have lots of PLANS for 2021 but neither the time nor reading/review capacity to fill them all. But hey, why not got for it and see what happens, right?

    Impressed by your DNFs. I'm horrified if I hit 2 a year so 25....!!! [lol] But you do read a lot more than me. It's true though - life is far too short to waste it reading shit books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am keeping my 2021 goals even more simple, only three goals and nothing formal; all are personal goals of mine.

      It has taken me so long to get comfortable with DNFs, but now that I am I don't even hesitate. No more shit books!

      Delete
  5. I lowered by goal of number of books read this year so that I could read for more worthy reasons than statistics. It worked! I am going to be happy about what I got done in terms of challenges but my best win is the number of long books I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I am going to stick with 275 for 2021. I am excited to see your year-end successes!

      Delete
  6. I was afraid I wouldn't make my (what I thought was modest in January) Goodreads goal of 110 books this year, but it looks like I'll end up with 112-115 (I'm partially through three books). You were a machine this year! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you as well! I have a few books I am still reading and I definitely won't get them done before midnight of the 1st. I read a few at a time also, it is a great strategy!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!