Thursday, December 30, 2021

Top10of2K21 Post #6 | Best of the Best

 

Here we go, post #6 for Top10of2K21! If you want to participate, or see what others are saying, click the banner to go to Kimberly's blog.

I've read SO many amazing books that there is no way I can narrow it down to just ten, so I am not even going to try. Instead, I am going to show off Dan Jones in his own post, because I have not talked about him or his work yet, and this whole meme works a lot better for fiction than non.

If you are unfamiliar with my adoration of Dan Jones, you can catch up HERE, and read about how I got to meet him in 2017 and I died because I got to sit down with my FAVORITE HISTORIAN AND TALK ABOUT MY MOST FAVORITE HISTORICAL FIGURE, ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE. Now and then I harass him on Twitter and Facebook when I've got a question about something and he's quite patient with me, so obviously it's okay.




There's truly no topping this one. After reading it, I deleted nearly every other book on the Middle Ages from my TBR, because what's the point? This volume surpasses all others that attempt to give a comprehensive overview of 1,000 years of history. This I believe will be the defining work of Jones' career, the absolute fucking jewel in the crown. I will always be most partial to The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England because that's where I met my girl Eleanor of Aquitaine (and I also happened to blurt out when meeting Dan that he pretty much named my baby, as I'd read this one in my final months of pregnancy. He laughed) but Powers and Thrones is the new Bible of the Middle Ages. You will find nothing better on the subject and I don't even dare you to try because it is not possible.

Have you read this one yet? If not, what are you waiting for?!

Happy Reading!
Sarah

12 comments:

  1. Who could have *possibly* thought that you'd pick THAT particular book...! [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, it's not as though WE ARE BEST FRIENDS! lol. I wonder how many times in his life Dan Jones has rolled his eyes at something I have said.

      Delete
  2. I know your appreciation of Mr. Jones runs deep, if not a bit obsessive lol, so this pick makes perfect sense. Wishing you and Ellie a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only because he the best, most coolest historian ever! We are having a good holiday break and spending lots of time with family. It is just what we have needed. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. do I actually have to spend (gasp) money for it? groan... okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read it now.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read his books but love that you got to meet him! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's AMAZING! I adore him. So many great books to choose from. I personally recommend The Plantagenets first.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!