Friday, March 2, 2018

My Heart Belongs to Edinburgh

No automatic alt text available.

Sometimes I get reeeeally emotional and miss Scotland terribly.

Have you ever arrived somewhere and just KNEW in your heart of hearts, that is where you belong? That's how I felt the moment I stepped foot on the Royal Mile, seeing Edinburgh Castle high up on the crag at one end, and knowing down at the other end we would soon see Holyrood Palace. Even though I surprised my momma with this trip because it was her dream vacation, I ended up falling in love with Scotland myself.

I took this photo the morning my mom and I arrived in Edinburgh, and it was one of our first amazing views in such an incredible city. I can't wait to go back in the future, this time accompanied by my daughter also, so she can see the beautiful city where her middle name comes from - Edin, (pronounced the same as Eden and phonetically correct, actually) - because naming a baby Eleanor Edinburgh is bordering on child abuse.

6 comments:

  1. I always enjoyed a trip to Edinburgh, going down the Royal Mile, the gift shop at the Scottish Parliament, the bus to the shopping centre at Leith where the Royal Yacht is...I haven't been there since 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and I were in Scotland in 2009. It was so amazing. And there were a lot of things we missed in Edinburgh because we did a couple day trips to see the whole of the country - all the way up to Inverness, a stop at Stirling Castle (but not the William Wallace monument, boo), a cruise on Loch Ness, and so many amazing sights to see. I am excited that when we go back again, we can skip some of the tourist things and now just explore the city. I'd also like to see Trossachs in a month other than November, I bet it is just beautiful in the height of summer.

      Delete
  2. Edinburgh is one of those cities that I just really want to visit, and I don't even know why? I mean obviously the blog posts and articles I've seen make it sound very compelling, but it's more than that I think. I just want to explore the city ha ha. and check out the book stores of course!

    I hope you get to go back many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you get to make a trip there. It is well worth the money spent. I have tons of advice for where to stay and where to visit! I highly highly recommend the Ben Doran, a cute little B&B with a bus stop right across the street. I think part of the thrill for me was the fact that you are literally walking through history so much of the time. You can see all the closes, which are these neat little alleys. And you find a lot of hidden gems within those alleys that sometimes open into courtyards. We also went on the Burke and Hare your one night, and it ended up just being mom and I, so it was like we had our own private tour of all the places related to the body snatchers. It was especially cool but creep to be in the graveyard at night. I could seriously go on and on. It is so beautiful, you must go someday.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will make note of the Ben Doran for sure, it's always nice to get recommendations from someone who's actually been there!!

      Delete
    3. Agreed, especially when traveling abroad. The Hop-On/Hop-Off tours are also worth the ticket. You get to see so many great spots that way.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!