Saturday, March 31, 2018

Stacking the Shelves 13



Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature co-hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It is a chance to showcase all the goodies you've collected in the last week, whether they're bought on-line or in-store, an ARC or a final copy, borrowed from a friend or the library, physical or digital, you get the idea. If nothing else, this treat shows how much of an addiction I really have when it comes to acquiring my precious books.

Last week I posted about some new books I picked up at one of our awesome local museums. We are very lucky to have an absolutely stunning museum here that is housed in the old Union Station. In December of 2016 it was designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building alone is worth a trip, and the exhibits are always top-notch.

There are two awesome exhibits going on right now. The first exhibit is Fighting for the Right to Fight: African American Experiences in WWII, which includes tons of artifacts and videos. The second is American Adventure 1607, which is an interactive role-playing adventure where you get to "be" one of the colonists from that first voyage to American and as you go through the maze, you make decisions that cause you to gain or lose health, wealth, food, and morale points. Based on those decisions, you live or die and at the end of the maze you can look up your colonist to see if that person really made it or not. Eleanor and I survived!

There is also a local exhibit on display right now called Women in Omaha: A Biographical Sketch of Persistence Through History. I found a couple books related to that exhibit too. Shocking, right?

7338559 27774679
33819346 1082544
16115744

Publisher Gift
39171461

NetGalley
36254355

Happy Reading!
Sarah

22 comments:

  1. Just one this week - the Amazon book I was waiting for:

    When the Clyde Ran Red - A Social History of Red Clydeside by Maggie Craig.

    MUCH more next week after my planning book trip & (hopefully) birthday books soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it finally arrived - I got an Amazon gift card from the Easter Bunny, so I have already used it for a few new books and hopefully they will be here in time for the next post. I added yours to my TBR, very interesting, indeed.

      Birthday books are the best <3

      Delete
  2. Ooh! WW1 airmen. Nice. :)

    This week's acquisitions: a history of the British army during the Age of Dicovery and empire, as well as a preview of a naval history of the war of 1812. We'll see if I like the writing enough to go for the whole book. It's CS Forester's "Age of Fighting Sail".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many a previews have been useful to me in deciding whether I need to get the whole book or not. Thank goodness for those. I have a hard time getting into naval history in general, or even more generally, warfare at all. Not sure why, but I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. By the way, just saw a mug of Henry VIII and his wives on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/PushinUpRoses/status/980201111582887936

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I NEED THAT!!!! I mean, he is awful, but the historian in me is like, GET IN MY CUPBOARD!

      Delete
    2. I heard a theory that he only became bad - with violent mood swings etc - after he fell from a horse which caused some (possible) brain damage. Don't know enough detail to have a conclusion on that though...

      Delete
    3. I think it is certainly possible. I also think that the leg injury he suffered that continued to pus and rupture and be disgusting played a role in his change. I also believe that perhaps that tyranny was part of his personality all along, but when things were going so right in his life when he was young, there was little opportunity or need for that side of him to come out - maybe he did not even really know it was there. There are so many possibilities.

      Delete
  4. Those exhibits sound great, and the interactive colonist experience would be really interesting! The book on the Roma looks interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been fantastic so far. I have not had the chance to fully explore the one about women in the history of Omaha, but we will be going back soon to check it out. The one about WWII is amazing. The oral histories are so worth the time, you can go onto the WWII museum's website and listen to them as well.

      https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

      Delete
  5. Look like a good set of history reads. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love history, so these books look amazing to me. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance to read any let me know and we can discuss them!

      Delete
  7. Those history books look fascinating. I listened to an audio last year about the first black paratroop regiment in America. They basically had to train themselves in their spare time before the white officers would even consider their capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the book's title?? I would be very interested in reading it!

      The exhibit is amazing because of the bravery of the men and women who wanted to fight for their country, and also an ugly glaring black eye on our nation because how can one justify fighting to defeat the biggest murdering racist piece of garbage in history...then coming home to a country that still says you're a second-class citizen? If you are interested, the US WWII museum website has lots of the oral histories on line and they are worth the listen!

      https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

      Delete
    2. Quick search on Google:

      Triple Nickles: America's First All-black Paratroop Unit by Bradley Briggs

      Courage Has No Color, The True Story of the Triple Nickles: America's First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone

      Delete
  8. Oooo Gypsy Mythology...We have gypsy blood they tell me. I think I would like to read this. Great book haul!

    Mary my #SundayRoundup #12!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for stopping by! The Gypsy book is still available on NetGalley, if you're still interested. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  9. I love your haul! Historical just like last time :) should make for some great reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!