Wednesday, March 28, 2018

State of the ARC 3


Here we are for round three of State of the ARC, hosted by Avalinah's Books. I am so glad I stumbled upon this meme, because it is really helping me with my 2018 Reading Goals (also find a related Top Ten Tuesday HERE). Links go to Goodreads, unless I have finished the review, in which case it goes to that. All ARCs are from NetGalley and Edelweiss, unless otherwise noted.

(Format equals = title/% complete, pub date)


Pending Approval = One
NetGalley = One

Not Started = None

Started = Fifteen
Whose Promised Land (27%), 10-15-15 (Received four months after publication)

The Witch of Lime Street (19%), 10-6-15 (Received three months after publication)

Queens of the Conquest (12%), 9-26-17

The First Congress (12%), 2-9-16 (Received one month after publication)



Scars of Independence (8%), 5-9-17

Six Months at the White House with Abraham Lincoln (6%), 4-15-16 (Received three days after publication)

Failure (3%), 7-1-16 (Received three months after publication)


The Black Prince (25%), 5-1-18


Crux (19%), 7-17-18 (from publisher)

Lighting the Fires of Freedom (56%), 6-8-18

The Library (pg 18), 4-10-18 (from publisher)

DNF = Zero


Finished, Review To Come = Four
American Gothic, 10-4-16

The Poison Plot, 5-15-18

Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency, 6-5-18

Review or Feedback Sent = Four
Lincoln Reconsidered, 3-22-16 (Received one week before publication)

Thieves, Rascals and Sore Losers5-8-15 (Received 15 months after publication)

Educated, 2-2-18

The Man Who Caught the Storm, 4-3-18

I really struggled with ARCs this month. I think part of it is because I am forcing myself to do it and I have always been somewhat of a free spirit, picking up whatever book I am interested in, in that moment. I am also close to DNF-ing a couple, because they are not as interesting as I thought they would be.

Let me know what you think and leave a link to your post as well.
Happy Reading!
Sarah

16 comments:

  1. I think you did pretty well! You started them all, after all. I have certainly not started all of mine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the positive for sure... I am hoping to not DNF any, but a couple are just a chore at this point.

      Delete
  2. I'm really bad at forcing myself to DNF books that just aren't working for me. I feel guilty about it which is daft, I know! There's so many great books out there waiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten way better about it now than I used to be. I try hard to not DNF ARCs, but sometimes it can not be helped. Slowly but surely I have come around to the same way of thinking - too many books, too little time. I'll be on my deathbed, shooing Death away saying, "Just one more chapter!" On the other hand my pastor pointed out, "Duh Sarah, what do you think Heaven is going to be for you?" OF COURSE it will be a giant library. Hopefully I will also be able to speak Latin, for all those chronicles I want to devour.

      Delete
  3. It still looks like good progress to me :) And good luck with your maybe-DNFs; I've had to walk away from a couple books that just weren't working for me recently and it was definitely a relief when I finally did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It def IS a relief! I try not to do that to ARCs, because if a book can be saved before publication, I want it to be. But sometimes I just have to throw in the towel. I am way better about doing so for a book that is already published.

      Delete
  4. I am getting much better at DNF. Life is too short to read books that aren't entertaining or interesting to me. I don't think I'd be able to start as many books as you have. I'm a one-book-at-a-time sort of reader. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten much better at it too. it was tough at first. I am trying not to DNF any of these because they are ARCs, but so many of them are out now, because I am so behind. I think April's list will have a couple though, at some point I just have to say that's enough and move on. I don't think I could read multiple books at a time if I read fiction; it would be so easy to mix u characters and plots. But with non-fiction, I read about such a variety of topics that there is no mixing those up. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. I think you still did great, but I do understand how you feel. I feel like I am only reading ARCs and less of the books I want to read - hopefully this month I will get ahead of my ARCs and have more time for personal reading.

    I also requested Educated and I am quite excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that very much! I struggle with the same thing. My shelves are bursting with books I want to read, just for the sake of reading them, as is my Kindle. I am going to get these finished and not request anything for a while, so I can get back to reading what I want, when I want, with no deadlines...as I say, when I have received three new books directly from publishers...OOPS!

      Educated was great, and terrifying. Did you get to read my review? I really appreciated the author's evolution, it was so interesting to see it occur throughout the book. I hope you get approved soon, it is a fantastic read!

      Delete
  6. I guess, since you have started all, you would be able to even finish them all soon :) And it's really incredible that you don't have any pending ARCs :)

    My numbers scare me :P

    http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/04/state-of-the-arc-april-2018/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory, yes!! But then I look longingly at my bookshelves and the books I want to read, just to read, with no impending deadline and I want to read those instead. It's a tough life we bookdragon's have, isn't it??

      Delete
  7. (I love your blog's name, by the way!) I can't believe you started reading all of your ARCs! Wow, that's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, twice! The name came about because, when I was setting up the blog, every cute/witty/funny name I tried was already used. I literally threw my hands up in the air and said out loud, "UGH! All the book blog names are taken!" and the rest is history!

      I read non-fiction almost exclusively, so I have quite a few going at a time to help combat my waxing and waning interest in a topic at a given point. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Sometimes we find what we are looking for in the least expected of places...

      And you are welcome!

      Delete
    3. Yes! It was literally born out of the frustration of EVERY OTHER NAME EVER already being used, lol.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!