Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Book of Books

10317368

Rating: 3 Stars

Review:

I absolutely love the King James Version of the Bible. It is the Bible I carry with me every Sunday, where I scribble notes in the margins and underline verses as my pastor speaks. This truly should not be a surprise to anyone who knows me, given the genres I enjoy reading most. The language itself is so beautifully simple - I suppose to me at least, and I enjoy wondering what it would've been like to live in the time when people spoke this way.

That being said, this book, about the Bible I love so much, was kind of a disappointment. Bragg's writing is fine, but the arguments got repetitive at times. I enjoyed the first section in regards to history, and the specific chapters relating to women in the bible found in section 3, but overall it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I am not sure I can even pinpoint quite what is off about it for me. It's a comprehensive and researched text, it's not a difficult read, and I hesitate to use the word boring, but...

Still, I can recommend it for those who enjoy the KJV, and are interested in its cultural and societal impact over the last 400 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!