Saturday, August 10, 2024

So Long, Summer!


Okay so summer itself isn't actually over yet, but as Taylor would say, our days of wild have ended...*sigh*

We got Internet back on Monday afternoon. But we were busy enjoying our last two days of fun before my teacher work days started on Wednesday, so I spaced off posting anything. Luckily I had my usual things queued for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. As of today 45 outages are all that are left, which seems like a small number but the storm happened on July 31st. These people have been without power for going on ten days now. Luckily it is much cooler now, but the first few days after the storm, temps were in the high 90s, with 'feels like' temps topping 100.

Mom came Tuesday and Eleanor is the proud new owner of her very first electric guitar. If you've been around a while, you may remember Eleanor danced for a loooooong time. Last October she had to quit for health reasons, but still needed a creative outlet. She'd taught herself to play the guitar with YouTube before this, so she started weekly lessons at a local music school. By February she added vocal lessons and in March she joined a performance class. It's been a whirlwind but she is LOVING it.

In June we went home to Minnesota for two weeks and it was glorious. We got to spend tons of time with family, celebrated Eleanor's birthday early, and saw Niall Horan in concert. 4th row on the floor/VIP lounge, baby. On our way up to the lounge Eleanor gave the woman guiding us a bracelet to give to Niall, told her where we were sitting, and that he'd see her because she has a bright pink Betsey Johnson telephone purse. During the encore, someone came to find us and gave Eleanor a setlist and one of Niall's picks, then let us go up to barricade for the last two songs of the show.

In July my baby turned 11. We didn't do a huge party this year, but an anything day with her BFF. They got their customary matching t-shirts, then did shopping, lunch, more shopping, fro-yo, the water park, and finally game night at church. They were exhausted by the end of the day and so was I, but it was worth it.

On Wednesday teacher work days started and Eleanor hung out with my mom while I had to get my new office unpacked and set up. My 3rd graders last year love Taylor as much as I do, so you can probably guess how it will be decorated this year. They're going to love it.

Thursday was Eleanor's first day of sixth grade and I officially have a middle schooler. It's a new school but necessary. Academically she is more than ready for this switch, but it was necessary for her mental health as well. There was a lot of bullying last year and nothing was done about it. My girl is so kind-hearted and was miserable last year. I wish parents would teach their children to NOT be assholes for no reason.

Now it's Saturday and we are lounging because this is the end of the fun. It's back to work on Monday. I'm excited to have 5th grade this year, as I had these kiddos in 2nd and 3rd grade too. Even so, I would love a few more weeks of wild with my girl.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you both had a FULL summer break...! To top it all you've got your Internet back. YEAH!

    Sounds like the Munchkin is going into warp speed. Ah, the pre-teenage years.... [gulp] I hope her new school (new friends?) REALLY works out for her. I know changing can be tough but it sounds like its a good move. Crossed fingers for her music career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had another wonderful summer! It always goes by way too fast and there were some things we did not get to do - there was no time for exploring abandoned places like last summer. I'm hopeful to do that maybe on a couple nice cool fall weekends.

      I hope so too, thank you so much.She's never understood how people can just be mean for no reason. The kids had all been together since they were 4, in pre-k. For some reason, last year there was this big switch in behavior and it was terrible. I even let her go to work with me one day as a mental health day because she was so worked up about having to go.

      Originally when Eleanor was only taking guitar lessons, she wanted to learn every Taylor song and play them all. Then she started branching out this season and is also learning Metallica. She also does a fantastic Smoke on the Water. I'm so excted for her to explore this talent of hers. One way or another, she was born for the stage and I hope she goes whichever way makes her most happy.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing that the bad behaviour boils down to one thing - hormones. They mess with your brain.... a LOT.

      Delete
    3. Maybe, but it was also a really small school, with two classrooms per grade level. A new student came last year and it's so crazy how one student can turn everything on its side.

      Delete
  2. I hope this school year is especially good for both you and Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far, so good. Eleanor is loving her new school and has made new friends. Plus she is really liking her classes and all the extra-curricular activities they offer.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Eleanor. So sorry to hear about the bullying. Hope she and you have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was awful, and she had been there since pre-school. Kids are mean. Luckily, we are both off to a good start this year. I am happy that she is happy again.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad power is back! We wen't through a week in July after Beryl and it was no fun. Wishing both of you a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's insane and I could not handle that long. Our school years are off to great starts. Hopefully this is the best move for Eleanor, she is really loving it so far.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!