Saturday, July 11, 2020

Book Talk | Dismantling White Supremacy Day 14

46002342

I began this book last week and would love to have discussions based on the prompts provided within the book. The book is set up so that after each day's reading, there are a handful of prompts to respond to. Feel free to respond to as many or as few as you like. I would love for this to be a discussion and a place where we can learn and grow together. Please be honest, because that is the only way anything will change.

Additionally, I have been compiling a list of books under the #BlackLivesMatter Reading List tab. I am usually adding books daily that I find, or are recommended by others. Please leave a comment on that page if you have titles to add. I hope you can find titles on this list that you will learn from as well.

Day Fourteen Reflection

1. What have you begun to see that you cannot unsee?

2. What have you begun to unearth about yourself when it comes to white supremacy?

3. What have these last thirteen days (and especially the last six days) shown you about how white supremacy works through you?

4. What have you learned about the dehumanizing ways you think about and treat BIPOC and why?

5. What have you learned about yourself and anti-Blackness?

6. If you are biracial, multiracial, or a Person of Color holding white privilege, what has this week brought up for you? How can you find grounding and self-care for yourself after this heavy week?

7. If you came to this book thinking you were "one of the good white people" or an ally to BIPOC, how do you feel about that now?

8. How are you thinking differently about your white privilege, white fragility, white tone policing, white silence, whiter superiority, and white exceptionalism now?

Let's talk!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever in my adult life had any real illusions about my white privilege. It was brought home to me every day when I was growing up in Mississippi. Through the years, I've had many BIPOC friends, co-workers, and associates and though I am quite sure I cannot fully appreciate the burdens which a racist society places on them, they have helped me to understand perhaps a little better and, I hope, to be a more empathetic person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that even though we can not fully understand the burden ourselves, because the world was built for us, that having BIPOC friends, colleagues, acquaintances helps us see a bit of what we otherwise would not if we stayed within our only little white-insulated bubbles. That empathy is key, because it means we are willing to put in the work to grow.

      I am really glad you have been participating in these talks. I will be posting more of my answers - the week kind of got away from me rather quickly because Eleanor turned seven yesterday and we had her birthday parade today, but I will definitely be going back through to put in my thoughts also.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!