I began this book last week and would love to have discussions based on the prompts provided within the book. The book is set up so that after each day's reading, there are a handful of prompts to respond to. Feel free to respond to as many or as few as you like. I would love for this to be a discussion and a place where we can learn and grow together. Please be honest, because that is the only way anything will change.
Additionally, I have been compiling a list of books under the #BlackLivesMatter Reading List tab. I am usually adding books daily that I find, or are recommended by others. Please leave a comment on that page if you have titles to add. I hope you can find titles on this list that you will learn from as well.
Day Seventeen Prompts
Allyship - an active, consistent, and challenging practice of unlearning and reevaluating, in which a person of privilege seeks to work in solidarity with a marginalized group (definition given at 49%)
Tokenism - the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especilly by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within the workforce (definition at 57%)
1. How have you justified your racism by using your proximity to BIPOC?
2. How have you tokenized BIPOC to prove your words, thoughts, or actions are nor racist?
3. How have you tokenized or weaponized one BIPOC against another BIPOC?
4. If you are a business owner, how have you tokenized BIPOC or BIPOC culture in your brand?
5. If you believe you have never tokenized BIPOC, how have you stayed silent when you saw it happening?
6. when you have lauded organizations or events for being diverse because they appear to have a few BIPOC, how much farther have you looked into their actual practices and policies toward BIPOC? How have you mistaken the look of diversity for actual inclusivity and equity?
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!