Thursday, July 23, 2020

First Line Friday #118


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines posted this week.

***You might have noticed an increase in recent weeks of books written by Black and African-American authors in a variety of genres. Since the murder of George Floyd and the spotlight once again shining on the mistreatment of our Black Brothers and Sisters, I am working on amplifying voices that often get shouted down. I have started a #BlackLivesMatter Reading List and would love any suggestions over on that page. My main contributions so far have been of non-fiction, big surprise, so I am looking for fiction especially.***

40909450

"Apartheid - the South African government policy of racial segregation - was genius at convincing people who were the overwhelming majority to turn on each other Apart hate, is what it was. You separate people into groups and make them hate one another so you can control them."

Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and leave a link to your FLF so I can stop by to see what you've posted this week.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

18 comments:

  1. "Raisa Ivanovna Meyer was sitting on the veranda of a rented dacha, listening to distant music from a pleasure boat as it filtered through successive screens of foliage. The notes that came to her were fragmented, barely music, but they compelled her attention more than the novel she had been drowsing over. She placed the book down on the marble table and looked up."

    A Vengeful Longing by R N Morris

    ReplyDelete
  2. mr wonderful bought me a signed copy of the book for my collection but the copy i read i got from the library. i watch the daily show all the time and it amazes me that he has such a positive attitude and handles difficult topics with humor and laughter
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adore Trevor Noah! When Jon Stewart left I was absolutely devastated. He was sanity in all the crazy politics. I get why he did, and I continue to be so proud of the work he continues to do in fighting for the rights of the First Responders who have become sick over the last 20 years at Ground Zero. But then Colbert left his show too, for a regular nightly talk show, and I admit I was a little wary because I did not know if Trevor could fill this huge gaping hole in my heart. He most certainly has, and I appreciate the same qualities you have mentioned. He has been fantastic and his book was stellar. I am so glad they've made a version for younger readers.

      Delete
  3. I'm on the waiting list for his "adult" version. I've heard so many great things about this book! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SOOOOOO good. I was devastated when Jon Stewart left The Daily Show, but Trevor has been a fantastic replacement and made the show his own while staying true to the original premise. I love it, and I adore him.

      Delete
  4. "There is a pirate in the basement." From The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a line...have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first line is from DON’T KEEP SILENT by Elizabeth Goddard
    Denver, Colorado
    Dread warred with hope as Rae Burke shivered in the cold outside on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm currently reading Georgana's Secret by Arlem Hawks (a very cool name, btw). I'm on chapter 12, so I'll share the first line from there: "Seawater made poor wash water." I think I'd have to agree! Hope you have an excellent weekend. 🙂❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Friday! Today, I'm sharing the first line from A Foreign Crown by Jen Geigle Johnson. "The mist over the water cleared enough that Prince Layton Christian Wilhelm could see through his spyglass the Jolly Roger unfurl off the topmast of the enemy ship."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/07/first-line-fridays-foreign-crown-by-jen.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday!!

    Over on my blog I am sharing the first line from Start with Me by Kara Isaac.
    "Of course, this latest allegation has been a huge shock to all of us."

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/07/first-line-fridays-start-with-me.html

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!