Thursday, July 2, 2020

Books From The Backlog #52


Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
258018

Why did I add Mary Tudor: The Tragical History of the First Queen of England to my TBR?

Because I have great empathy for Mary I. Given the trauma she endured, I am not surprised that she ruled as she did. She has this moniker labeling her a mass murderer in the name of religion, when her father and sister were both guilty of the same crimes - and Henry for sure had more people executed. It doesn't make ANY of their crimes right, but people would do well to at least look at the history fairly and objectively. History is written by the victors after all, so in that regard as well, Mary never stood a chance.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

12 comments:

  1. wow, now you have me really curious. i look forward to seeing what you think after reading it
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy a fair book about Mary, and Loades is a very solid historian. I am looking forward to this one!

      Delete
  2. I’ve not read this one yet (I’m sure it’s hanging around on my Tudor bookshelf) but I’ve always enjoyed the perspective of David Loades.

    Mary’s unwavering spirit always appealed to me and she’s often treated unjustly. If you look at the numbers, Mary’s executions were well below Elizabeth’s the only difference between the two is that Mary was Catholic and most histories of Mary written during Elizabeth’s time were from the Anglican/Church of England perspective. Should Elizabeth, or those around her, speak favorably of Mary, they believed it was speaking in favor of her Catholic religion thus opening the door for Mary of Scots to be named as next in line for the throne of England.

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! Religion was so entwined in every day life, they could not give even the hint of being lenient on Catholics once Elizabeth had the throne. People forget that Mary had massive support, even before she took the throne. Her mother was so loved, and the majority knew Jane was not the rightful heir no matter what Edward VI's will said. Elizabeth and Henry executed just as many, if not more. Mary has been unfairly maligned for centuries.

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely have to revisit this (as I've said before). I've always been taught the 'Bloody Mary' angle (including @ school) but it *might* be anti-Catholic propaganda.... I'm not totally convinced though! To the BOOKS......! [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's mostly what it is - so much of Mary's reign was written in Elizabeth's and no one was going to say anything favorable. Henry definitely had more people executed and I am almost positive Elizabeth did too.

      Delete
  4. You're right about history being written by the victors so its interesting when an author can dig up facts that fill in more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. it is especially difficult when papers from certain reigns are destroyed or lost. But luckily enough have survived that it is possible to get a more fair picture of Mary than in the past.

      Delete
  5. Yes, she wasn't the only one. She's such an interesting person to study. I hope you enjoy this one when you read it! Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am looking forward to it. Stay safe as well!

      Delete
  6. This sounds intriguing and I know someone who would most likely love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy a good, fair look at Mary's life. Hope whoever you have it in mind for loves it too!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!