Monday, July 6, 2020

Book Talk | Dismantling White Supremacy Day 9

46002342

I began this book last week and would love to have discussions based on the prompts provided within the book. The book is set up so that after each day's reading, there are a handful of prompts to respond to. Feel free to respond to as many or as few as you like. I would love for this to be a discussion and a place where we can learn and grow together. Please be honest, because that is the only way anything will change.

Additionally, I have been compiling a list of books under the #BlackLivesMatter Reading List tab. I am usually adding books daily that I find, or are recommended by others. Please leave a comment on that page if you have titles to add. I hope you can find titles on this list that you will learn from as well.

Day Nine Prompts

1. Think about the country you live in. What are some of the national racial stereotypes - spoken and unspoken, historic, and modern - associated with Black women?

2. What kinds of relationships have you had and do you have with Black women, and how deep are those relationships?

3. How do you think about Black women who are citizens in your country differently from those who are recent immigrants?

4. How have you treated darker-skinned Black women differently from lighter-skinned Black women?

5. What are some of the stereotypes you have thought and negative assumptions you have made about Black women, and how have these affected how you have treated them?

6. How have you expected Black women to serve or soothe you?

7. How have you reacted in the presence of Black women who are unapologetic in their confidence, self-expression, boundaries, and refusal to submit to the white gaze?

8. How have you excluded, discounted, minimized, used, tone policed, or projected your white fragility and white superiority onto Black women?

Let's talk!
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. i've seen this around. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by again. I have posted the prompts for each day, there are are 28 days worth of material all together. I will be getting caught up on adding my own thoughts in the comments and hope you will find some that you would like to speak on, and do the same!

      Delete
  2. It's interesting and hopeful, I think, that there has been a surge in interest in books about race and racism. Looking at The New York Times nonfiction best seller list today, ten of the top fifteen are in some way related to race. Let's hope that all those readers are seriously reading those books and taking their lessons to heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I was just talking to one of my friends about this - how it is so hard to get the books that are being recommended to me right now, because they are already checked out, and the wait lines are HUGE. I have also noticed our library system purchasing extra copies of these books. It makes me hopeful that real change is in motion now, that we might see it in our lifetime.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!