Sunday, July 19, 2020

Book Talk | Dismantling White Supremacy Day 22

46002342

I began this book last week and would love to have discussions based on the prompts provided within the book. The book is set up so that after each day's reading, there are a handful of prompts to respond to. Feel free to respond to as many or as few as you like. I would love for this to be a discussion and a place where we can learn and grow together. Please be honest, because that is the only way anything will change.

Additionally, I have been compiling a list of books under the #BlackLivesMatter Reading List tab. I am usually adding books daily that I find, or are recommended by others. Please leave a comment on that page if you have titles to add. I hope you can find titles on this list that you will learn from as well.

Day Twenty-Two Prompts

White feminism - an epithet used to describe feminist theories that focus on the struggle of white women without addressing distinct forms of oppression faced by ethnic minority women and women lacking other privileges (definition given at 69%)

1. To what extent has your idea of feminism been under the issue of gender only?

2. How has your feminism neglected or minimized the issues of BIPOC?

3. How has your feminism rejected, discounted, or simply ignored BIPOC leaders?

4. How has your feminism been white-centered?

5. If you are someone who has called yourself an intersectional feminist, in what ways have you been centering BIWOC?

Let's talk!
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I suspect I'd have research to do because I've always just seen feminism as female-related issues period. Never gave nuances to it much thought which probably is the point of the questions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not done so before either, so you are not alone - and yes, I would also agree that that is the very point! :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely think there is more to be discussed and worked on around issues that specifically pertain to BIPOC Women, especially in terms of access to quality health care. I must confess, this is a place where I have some personal work to do in terms of researching more about the topic. Do you have any recommendations to help further my learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much more, yes. And that issue of quality healthcare is crucial. The statistics on child birth alone have been quite alarming. It really seems like the old way of thinking, that somehow Black men and women feel less physical pain, has followed some doctors into the 21st century, and it is gross. I have not read books on this specific topic yet but have had a few recommended to me recently that I can pass along:

      - Black Feminism Reimagined: After Intersectionality by Jennifer Nash
      - How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective by several contributors, edited by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor
      - Unapologetic: A Black, Queer, and Feminist Mandate for Radical Movements by Charlene Carruthers

      We could pick one, or any others we come across, and read it after this book talk is done! I have been toying with the idea of continuing and making it a regular feature. You don't have to of course, but I am having lots of thoughts right now about all kinds of directions this could go :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!