Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Band That Played On: The Extraordinary Story of the 8 Musicians Who Went Down with the Titanic

9651636

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:

Aside from Wallace Hartley, I'd never known the names of any other Titanic musicians prior to this book. I feel as though I've done a disservice to these men by referring to them as such, but it is how history collectively remembers them.

I found this book to be well-researched and well-written. The author put together the lives of these brave men as best as he possibly could, without resorting to much conjecture. The fact is, there is much we will never know - from their private lives to what song they actually played in those final moments before succumbing to their fate. Still, the author manages to tell a riveting story and bring these men to life once again.

Additionally, I was intrigued by the last chapter about Hartley's violin and after a trusty Google search, found that the violin in question has been authenticated. How unbelievable that his violin survived, and survives to this day.

Highly recommended for anyone as obsessed with Titanic as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!