Sunday, September 6, 2015

Reflections of Scotland

13047143

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:

I know what you are all thinking: oh here we go again, Sarah is reviewing ANOTHER book about Scotland. And guess what? Hell yeah I am, because Scotland is pretty much my favorite place in the world and I am never going to be sorry for shouting from the mountaintops how much I love it. So, if that is an issue...why are you still reading this?

I bought this book (among many others) in 2009 when Mom and I were in Scotland. Am I the only person who buys books when traveling? I know there must be others like me, I just have not met them yet because most I know thought I was a weirdo when I came home with a suitcase full of books. Oh well.

Anyway. This isn't a regular book, exactly. I mean, it is a physical book, complete with covers and pages and words and pictures. It is also not exactly a coffee table book, because it is too small, and also too wonderful and unpretentious - something I personally find as the opposite with most so-called coffee table books.

The book is divided into sections from the Lowlands, to the Islands, Central Scotland, and the Highlands, among others. Each chapter begins with a few pages of description of that area's points of interest before giving way to the photographs. Additional information dots the chapters, ranging from paragraphs about whisky to castles to golf to Nessie - all very Scottish things.

This is simply a beautiful collection of photographs of a beautiful country, which I dare you to visit and not be taken-in by. I myself am what most people would all an "indoor girl", and the beauty of Scotland's natural surroundings is utterly breathtaking. Add in a countryside littered with ruins of once-and-still proud castles, abbeys, etc. and you have a recipe for amazing photography - which is exactly what is captured here. Normally when I peruse photography books, I think the whole time, "Nope, no way, it can't look like that in real life." But with this one, I was constantly saying, "Yep, that's exactly what it looks like, because I WAS THERE."

And as always, just to show it, here are a few pictures from my trip. No, none of them are castles. You're welcome. Read this book and visit Scotland. You won't regret either.

(All photographs below belong to me and were taken throughout Scotland in November, 2009).

Visiting Hamish on our way through the Highlands

It was a little windy and drizzly in the Highlands, but still amazing!

Probably my favorite shot from our cruise on Loch Ness.

At Loch Lomond

Mom and I in the Trossachs National Park

More Trossachs

Salisbury Crags, from Holyrood Palace. The tony dots on top are people hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!