Saturday, October 6, 2018

The Colour of Time: A New History of the World, 1850-1960


37559079


Rating: 5 Stars

Beautiful. Absolutely fucking gorgeous.

This might be the shortest review I have ever composed for a book when the words in said book are written by Dan Jones. (EDIT: The review is so short because the book speaks for itself and there is really not much I can say to add to that.) His text is succinct, never more than a few paragraphs per photo, aside from the introduction to each new section which goes for two pages and we're also provided a timeline for that period. No words are wasted and he provides great context in few words. Well-done as usual and I expect nothing less from such a thorough historian.

The photos are amazing. Amaral's work is phenomenal. History has always been pretty 'alive' for me, because I love it and it is basically all I ever want to read about. But a book like this might do wonders for someone less inclined to pick up a history text. Photos you've seen a million times in black and white, major world-changing, beautiful, devastating, heartbreaking events captured on film, are now in living color. For the briefest of moments you can imagine yourself in that place, in that time.

Fantastic work on both accounts, highly recommended.

10 comments:

  1. Nice. Totally new to me but good to know it's out there, seems well worth a look. I do like reading about history but just haven't lately, with all the fiction, but I'd like to ease more more history/ nonfiction stuff in once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really awesome. Are you familiar with Marina Amaral's work? If not, follow her on Twitter and check out her portfolio online. She digitally colors black and white photos and they are just breathtaking. She also works on the Faces of Auschwitz project, colorizing the thousands of photos of prisoners.

      Delete
    2. I am not familiar with her work, but I will go check it out. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. I stumbled upon her work a while ago now after Dan Jones had retweeted some of her work, but it was long before their book was announced. I think Goring at the Nuremberg Trials is easily one of the most chilling photos she's colorized.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, this must go into the 'must read because Dan Jones wrote it and Sarah adores Dan Jones' pile, lol. It really is wonderful. Amaral's work is beautiful. Her portfolio is online, and she's also working on the Faces of Auschwitz project, to colorize the thousands of photos of prisoners held there. Those are devastating, but I feel like we all have an obligation to view them and support the project so that these people are never forgotten.

      Delete
  3. The name of the novel sounds interesting and I love to read your blog post. It helps me to choose another great story. I add the book to my collection and will read later. last I Download Dread Nation PDF eBook online and enjoy the novel. you should check the novel for your next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a novel. It is a collection of historical black and white photos from the 1800s-1900s that have been digitally colorized. It is a beautiful work of art.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard about Marina Amaral's work before, and am now a new fan. Thank you for highlighting this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't her work just beautiful?? And the time it takes to do the research to even know what colors need to be used...just, wow! I am glad to introduce someone else to her (and Dan's!) work.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!