Friday, May 10, 2019

Book Review: Priceless

7969245

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

I know some people will roll their eyes and think that the only reason Richie has a book deal is because she is famous. That might be the case, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have any talent. We're not talking about life-changing literature here, but I firmly believe there is value in books that we can easily get lost in for a while and not having to think too much can be a good thing. I really liked Richie's first book The Truth About Diamonds, which I read years ago when it was first published. I didn't even remember this was on my TBR until I was scrolling through looking for books to delete, and when I rediscovered this one, I nabbed it quick from the library.

We follow the main character, Charlotte, as she navigates her family's fall from grace when her father is arrested for embezzlement (luckily there are no complicated details to deal with here. After he is caught he keeps repeating how it was a 'small loophole' he took advantage of and we are never given an explanation of how he stole billions. We don't need it) and see how she manages to pick herself up and start over. There is a mystery element when her father's former clients come out of the woodwork with fury they are more than entitled to. One begins sending death threats and following Charlotte, and though it was easy from very early on to figure out who was threatening her, I did not enjoy the book any less by figuring out who was behind the threats.

Charlotte will annoy you because she is spoiled, and it is not as though she comes out of this completely transformed human who renounces all society and material goods, but you do kind of want things to at least be okay for her, because her father's crimes were not hers to take responsibility for.

It's not a terrible way to pass an hour or two. A nice brain break if you need one.

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!