Monday, December 28, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday | Top Reads of 2020

 


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week is Favorite Books of 2020. I am showcasing all the five-star reads I was lucky enough to read this year. It may or may not come as a surprise to those who frequent my blog that I have SO MANY fiction books on my list this year. I discovered several new YA authors who I absolutely fell in love with. The books are in no particular order.

A must-read for all who believe that women deserve to be as free as men. I wish I could make everyone read it.

Surely this one needs no explanation?

Fucking brilliant. Absolutely beautiful.


My first Courtney Summers' book. Totally fell in love and will forever read everything she ever writes.


Absolutely stunning. Morris is a must-read.


Parker is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite characters.


Tiffany Jackson is another must-read I discovered this year. I thought Monday's Not Coming would be my fave read, but then I read this one and HOLY SHIT. Brilliant.


Had me bawling by the end. So good.


And just when I thought Jackson couldn't top Allegedly, I read Grown and it was EVERYTHING.


Another one that needs no explanation. McManus is Queen of YA thrillers.


I have so much respect for Estep as an investigator. Having been to Villisca myself, I can attest to the mojo there. I don't know that I would ever go back, though I can not get this awful, sad story out of my head.

Reading this was like sitting with a friend. Candid and honest, as well as highly intelligent. I miss that.


I can't imagine not only going through the physical and emotional pain, the trauma, then relieving it during the trial, but then having to read every fucking day about the 'Stanford swimmer' whose future was ruined by him choosing to sexually assault an unconscious woman. Fuck that guy, I hope he is never able to show his face in public ever again.

I fucking hate Weinstein, and all men in power like him who use that power in such a disgusting and cruel way. I can't wait until he goes to trial in LA and gets decades more time added to his sentence.


I thought surely nothing could compare to the power of The Hate U Give, but I was wrong. Another must-read author. Thomas is incredibly talented and I am looking forward to T.H.U.G.'s prequel.


There you have it. How many of these have you read and loved/loathed? Let me know!

Happy Reading,
Sarah

24 comments:

  1. One Of Us Is Next- damn straight. :) This Is Not A Test. YES.

    Sun Down and Good Girls Lie- I still need to get to those.

    The Cousins is actually one of my FAVORITE favorites, I was thinking today, as I did my list. Scotland and Guest List need to go on the ole TBR too I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen McManus = Queen of Everything

      Anything by Courtney Summers has me like owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

      I still can't believe you haven't read Good Girls Lie. Seriously! You'll love it! And Sun Down...come on! You will definitely like Guest List too. It was so good.

      Delete
  2. Treblinka Survivor sounds interesting. On The Come Up was really good--especially on audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treblinka was such a horrifying, but necessary and powerful read. He survived the worst camps, and was actually imprisoned at more than his sons even initially knew about. Heartbreaking story on so many levels.

      I am super excited for Concrete Rose. On the Come Up was SO GOOD!

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Here's hoping that 2021 has many more great books in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! There are so many really great books on your list I still want to read! Wow, you've really had a great reading year in spite of all the dread around the world.

    Here's to hoping 2021 will bring even greater ones.

    Happy New Year!

    Elza Reads Favorite Top Top Ten for 2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well! It really was a great year in books - curbside library pick-up service helped a ton, especially because there was literally no where else to go during the summer. Not that there is anywhere else to really go now, except school. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. I'm seeing so many titles that I want to read here and so few I've actually read. Happy holidays and happy reading! https://readwithstefani.com/top-10-books-of-2020/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Stefani! I hope you get to read many of them, this was a grat yar reading-wise, even if everything else was atrocious!

      Delete
  6. WooooH almost overwhelming list of fantastic books to add to my TBR! These were my favourite reads of 2020 if you wanted to check them out! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh, I would love to know which ones you are adding! Happy New Year, thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. I got A Promised Land for Christmas, glad to see you enjoyed it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/12/29/top-ten-tuesday-296/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it, it was so wonderful. It also helped calm my nerves a bit even as we are in this weird transition right now where we have no real functioning government and everything is a mess right now. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Wow! You read some great books this year. My favorite of 2019 was Daisy Jones and the Six, so I was happy to see that one. I also had The Sun Down Motel on my list for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy Jones was awesome! Have you read Evelyn Hugo? I can't decide which one of those two is my fave, and should probably even more of the author's books. Sun Down was so phenomenal, have you read The Broken Girls? I honestly could not choose which one I loved more if someone asked me to.

      Delete
  9. What a great set of books! You certainly had an amazing year for reading. And I'm so glad to see Long Way Down on here. I loved that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed quite a few of Reynolds' books this year, but Long Way Down was my hands-down favorite. I was SOBBING at the end. And what it all means is so open to interpretation - was it a dream? Was he dead too? Would he go through with it? I could not get myself together after I was done reading it.

      Delete
  10. I just can't do my top reads of the year until the year is actually over. But I do enjoy reading everyone else's. I am glad to see Daisy Jones and the Six on your list. I also see ones I did not get to this year in spite of good intentions. Now you have given me courage to possibly expand my Top 20. I usually have to lop off a couple to narrow it down to 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it. A lot of people were fussy about it, because it is written like an oral history, but I loved it. I think you will too. Have you read Evelyn Hugo? Another of my faves by the same author.

      I decided to do my lists now and get them all prepped to post because I met my goal of 275 by reading 281. Had that not been the case, i would still be reading right up to midnight on 12-31-2020.

      Don't let a certain number put constraints on you! Include as many books as you want to on your Top Reads list!! :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, that’s a lot of favorites! I’m happy to see so many books from my TBR list on here. I hope I like them as much as you did. Have a good 2021!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always way too hard for me to choose only ten - or even twenty. I decided a couple years ago that any five-star read gets showcased, because I don't hand those out very easily. Except this year maybe I did? lol, I don't know. It was just a reeeeeeally good reading year.

      Delete
  12. I need to read the Villisca book. I have had it on Kindle for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy Estep's books and I hope you enjoy this one. Have you ever been to Villisca?

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!