Sunday, June 14, 2015

Nazi Women: The Attraction of Evil

20343950

Rating: 2 Stars

Review:

As I have stated in previous reviews of works of similar nature, I simply don't have the ability to read anymore about the Holocaust and WWII after having a child of my own. It is so hard to not imagine it could be your own child, and it makes me want to vomit.

That being said, I began this with some trepidation, not wanting to read about the specific atrocities these monstrous women committed, but more so looking for a kind of study on the type of women who were enthralled by Hitler and his Thousand Year Reich. Unfortunately, it seems that there was no type; it was about empowerment after what were honestly unfair reparations from WWI, a war Germany didn't even start. And these women apparently did not read the fine print, as Hitler and his cronies had no intention of truly empowering them to do anything more than cook, clean, and have perfect little Aryan babies.

Now, I am typically not one to support the notion of an eye for an eye, but I cannot express enough how disgusted and angry I am that so many of the women who worked in the camps especially were able to assimilate back into normal civilian life. They were murderers who escaped justice and I can only hope the rest of their lives were miserable.

The book itself reads kind of strangely. It is more like a collection of mini biographies of various women and their involvement in the Reich. There are sections devoted to Hitler's relationship to them, most fleeting, none actually important to him. I just can't understand how this pathetic, ugly (meant both inside and out) little man could have inspired such frenzies.

This is a very short volume and really is nothing more than a general look. For that I am grateful. I don't want to know any more about these women then I already do, specifically their cruelty and the acts they perpetrated on their youngest, smallest victims. However, for someone who may be able to handle this better than I without wanting to cry, it will be lacking.

One of the biggest distractions while reading were random snippets of text in bigger, bolded font throughout. It literally added nothing to the text, as it was not additional info or quotes or facts. It was simply a sentence taken from a regular paragraph and made bigger. It was not even always the most important idea from a particular page, and very early on I just quit reading them.

The pictures were interesting, but sometimes odd choices. I realize there may not be photos of some of the women anymore, but it would have been helpful perhaps if the photos were included in the section the woman was written about.

Overall, it is not a terrible work, though it is written about some of the worst people to ever live. These women were part of a regime that brutalized, tortured, and murdered millions of innocent men, women, and children. If anyone could ever be classified as sub-human, it is this group, along with their male counterparts, and most certainly not the people against whom they committed these crimes. But the work is also by no means authoritative. Additionally, there were sections at the end I just could not read due to their content regarding the camps. This would not be a terrible supplemental reading, but not one I would look to first on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!