Sunday, August 9, 2015

Roman Britain: Outpost of the Empire

4292162

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:

Though the text is a bit dated (1979), it still contains a wealth of information, photos and maps. I have yet to find a book put out by Thames and Hudson that I have not enjoyed. Certainly I would recommend it still today, despite being 30+ years old. I find this time period so fascinating, more so in relation to it being Roman Britain specifically - not just regarding the Roman aspect. 

My only wish is that at least some of the photographs might have been in color - though it is possible that updated texts would have color photography. And, of course, I have my own photos of the Roman Baths in Bath, which Mom and I visited in 2009 as part of our UK trip. It was so amazing to see these structures that have existed for almost 2,000 years. That these ruins have survived as much as they have continues to amaze me and the preservation work that has gone into this place is wonderful. I can't wait to go back to the UK and see other remains from this ancient age (Hadrian's Wall, I'm lookin' at you!) The following photos were taken either by or my mom in Bath in November of 2009 and belong to us:

The Roman Baths; in the foreground to left is where the spring flows into the bath. It takes thousands of years (I think 10,000, but I am not positive) for the water cycle to complete. (Bath, 2009)

Mom and I (Bath, 2009)

The Roman Baths (Bath, 2009)

Remains of the hypocaust used for heating (Bath, 2009)

The bath lit up as dusk falls (Bath, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!