Saturday, January 7, 2017

Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In

30841110

Rating: 5 Stars

I'll give you a fair warning right off the bat, this will probably get political real fast. If you are exhausted by the absolute shit-storm that is our country right now, welcome. If you are happy with the outcome of the election, we honestly don't have much to say to each other. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, nor is anyone going to change mine. Senator Sanders was the best candidate for the job and the DNC shot themselves in the foot by running the least popular candidate they could against the buffoon that the GOP was forced to support.

Basically, Senator Sanders is the only presidential candidate I have ever truly been inspired by from start to finish - I mean this in terms of from the beginnings of the campaign when I was first finding out about him and his platform, up to/through/beyond the election. He is the first candidate I have ever caucused for. He is the first candidate I have ever donated money to (multiple times), the first candidate for whom I have bought signs, t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. I was even lucky enough to attend a rally here the Friday before the election, after which he came down the line of those of us in the front row and I got to shake his hand and talk to him, while I also ugly-cried and snapped a selfie of us, all while also telling him how much we love him.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing by the utmost respect for President Obama and it will be a sad day for me when he and the First Lady are no longer gracing the White House with their class and intelligence - AND humor. President Obama is funny AF. Mic drop, anyone?


It also has a lot to do with Senator Sanders' opposition vs President Obama's. I proudly voted for President Obama twice and would vote for him again if possible. But I never felt like if he were to lose, our country would be in serious jeopardy. That is completely the opposite of what I feel like in this election aftermath. I have grave concerns about our country's future with the "administration" coming in soon.

I suppose I should get to the book itself though. This is less a review and more of just a venting session because I am beyond frustrated with the current state of affairs. As it stands, there is nothing new here, though it is all still ground-breaking because his vision for our country was so broad and far-reaching and inclusive. There are numerous excerpts from his speeches, news articles, and the like. The are multiple pictures of him and his team out on the campaign trail, talking with voters, and doing everything he needed to do to win the nomination. He explains his life growing up, his first foray into politics, life during the campaign, and then a large section is devoted chapter by chapter to his policies and positions on issues that will impact us all, Democrats and Republicans, Liberals and Conservatives.

I totally don't care if this makes me sound crazy, but while I was reading, it was not my own voice I was hearing. I was reading the book and hearing it in Senator Sanders' voice. So, basically, he was reading the book to me. And it was awesome. They were words I already knew so well, because of the multiple speeches and interviews I watched, time and again, all through the Primary Season.

The book made me both happy and sad at the same time. Happy, in that here again is proof that I supported the candidate who was best fit to guide our nation through these troubling years. Sad because, of course, he ultimately did not win the nomination. But I would gladly campaign and caucus for him again. I would not change a minute of time or a single dollar spent.

#Bernie2020

2 comments:

  1. I respect Bernie Sanders and the ideals that he believes in and promotes. I think that he would be an amazing leader of our country and I hope that he runs for president in the future. This book sounds like a great addition to your collection & I'm hoping I'll get the opportunity to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If E will let you, you can borrow OUR copy - because apparently it is not just MY copy :)

      I worry about his age being a factor because he will be 79 in 2020 and I don't know how many people would be willing to take the chance, which stinks. But there are also some great progressives who really supported him, so perhaps one of them (I am REALLY hoping Tulsi Gabbard) will run, and there will be a place for him in the Cabinet. Or the VP slot would be awesome. The movement just has to keep going forward; the election was a huge setback, but we have to focus on midterm elections in 2018 now. Oi!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!