Sunday, September 22, 2019

Book Review | Two Can Keep a Secret


38225791. sy475

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Holy hell. I didn't think McManus could top One of Us is Lying but shiiiiiiiiiit this book was SO GOOD. So, so good. So good.

I read this one ages ago and am just now reviewing it because sometimes I love a book so much, I don't know how to talk about it except to say "READ IT!" over and over again to anyone and everyone I meet. And while this might convey my enthusiasm for the book, shouting "READ IT!" over and over doesn't really provide any evidence for why.

So, I am going to attempt to do so as intelligently as possible, while simultaneously waiting for One of Us is Next to pop up on NetGalley. And if it doesn't, so help me God...

I do not read a lot of YA. I don't read a lot of fiction, period. But it was suggested to me by a book blogger friend to give One of Us is Lying a try and that book sealed my fate in regards to any future YA thrillers that Karen McManus writes. I was not at all disappointed by this one and as I was reading, I felt it was solidly on par with OOUIL, a very very solid four stars.

That last line though? The last line of the whole book, after Ellery and Ezra and the whole town went through their latest round of trauma with the disappearances and murders? That line alone was worth the additional star. It is THAT good.

It is hard to go too much into the plot without accidentally giving something away. The very bare bones of the story is this: Ellery and Ezra are twins, moving to Echo Ridge to live with their grandmother. Their mom is in rehab and is a hot mess. And of course picture perfect little towns are never really what they seem. Echo Ridge is no different. Ellery and Ezra's aunt disappeared nearly two decades earlier and new mysteries pop up just in time for the twins' arrival.

I have to stop there, because I don't want to give anything away, and I want everyone to read this one. Everyone. EVERYONE. And read One of Us is Lying, while you're at it. And get in line for the sequel to One of Us is Lying, which is One of Us is Next. But get in line after me, because I have been waaaaaaaiting and compulsively checking NetGalley every day to see if it available yet. You should also follow Karen McManus on Twitter, because she is pretty neat.

Anything else I say will pretty much just be me fangirling over this one, so perhaps it is best to just end with this: It'll keep you on the edge of your seat and the twists and turns are quite a wild ride. 

Highly recommended.

6 comments:

  1. Yesss!!!!!!!!!! Seconded and thirded lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And fourthed and fifthed!!!! I keep checking NetGalley every day for One of Us is Next, but no luck so far. I WANT THAT BOOK SOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. It's rare to see you in full breathless fangirl mode!!
    Love that you loved this book so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? (Unless I am making googly-eyes about Dan Jones, haha) Sometimes all you can do is shout about it over and over. I will read any thriller McManus writes.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yay!! One of Us is Lying is also so good, that is her first book. It is not related to this one though. I am absolutely dying to get my hands on One of Us is Next, but it is not on NetGalley yet and my chances might be slim. I can pray for a miracle though!!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!