Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Books From The Backlog #16



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
7691044

Why did I add Catherine Howard to my TBR?

Because this was long before Gareth Russell wrote what I consider to be the Bible of Catherine Howard. I feel a deep sense of pity for this Catherine, just as I do the first one, despite their very different circumstances. I am cautious in my interest in this one, because most historians are not kind to this child who had no idea what she was getting herself into, and was used as a pawn by her power-hungry family.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've not read much of his work yet though, so I am unsure of his approach to the queens. Some historians let their bias show rather sharply. I am hoping for a fair portrait, but not sure I will get it.

      Delete
  2. I really don't know too much about her. Sounds like an interesting book. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to get to know her, I absolutely recommend the Gareth Russell book I mentioned, called 'Young and Damned and Fair'. It is one of the best biographies I have ever read, and doubly great given the fact that it shows who I think Catherine truly was - a child who was silly about her business and paid for those mistakes with her life. I feel such sympathy for her.

      Delete
  3. I just started reading A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton. It has been on my TBR for two years. Three generations of a Creole family from New Orleans, WWII to post-Katrina.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!