Saturday, September 26, 2020

Your Annual Reminder that it's Possible to be a Majorly Ridiculous Nonfiction Fangirl And Not Be Sorry One Bit

Every year I like to remind people that not only did I get to meet Dan Jones and he signed all of my books, but that we had a whole conversation about Eleanor of Aquitaine. He even gave me advice for my own book on about Eleanor and it definitely helped me refocus my attention and energy for that project.

Jones was on his book tour for The Templars and the closest he came to Omaha was STL on September 26th, 2017. Mom, Eleanor, and I drove eight hours down and met my BFF Roxy who drove from Chicago with her husband and daughter.



  

 




He's published a few more books since then, so I guess he has to come back to the US to sign some more. Plus there are some UK editions I have now which also require a signature...

If you are interested in medieval history, I would suggest starting with The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England. It is fantastic. This is the book in which I met Eleanor of Aquitaine for the first time. As a result, one might say that Dan Jones named my baby because there is no other name that would so perfectly fit my own mighty girl 😆

Happy Reading!
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am SO jealous! I've read several of Jones' books including The Plantagenets and I always learn things from them as well as being entertained. I agree - your Eleanor bears a mighty name and I'm sure she lives up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's fantastic that way - keeps readers engaged in the material but does not dumb anything down and is also hilarious. When he asked me what I thought of Eleanor I totally froze - like omg this historian who I admire so much is asking MY opinion?? Then I sat down at the table and we talked for a good 15/20 minutes. It was wonderful. As soon as his talk was done and he sat down at the table to sign books, he gave me a smile and said, "I Know who YOU are" and I about DIED. Roxy and I waited to be the very last people in line. As soon as everyone else had gone, he stood up and I asked if I could hug him and he said of course, so I stood there hugging Dan Jones like an idiot because I was thinking how cool it was to be hugging him and that wait, he is still hugging me and I don't want to un-hug first but then I thought he might think I was a big weirdo who would not let go of him so I did, and then I was mad at myself for breaking the hug first, lol. We took pictures and he signed the books - two with actual inscriptions! - and it was wonderful. I don't think I stopped smiling for a week.

      Delete
  2. impressive! he must be a pretty nice guy to help you like that... of course, you must be also or he wouldn't have done it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great! after he had signed all my books he asked what I thought of Eleanor and I completely froze and then said she was extraordinary. Then I sat down and we talked about her and it was every bit as perfect as I hoped.

      Delete
  3. I've got a couple of his books on my list, hanks to your recommendation! I really need to make some time for some non fiction history soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must!! Start with The Plantagenets. I really think it is truly truly his best work, though I think all his works are great. I also might be a little biased toward that one because of Eleanor of Aquitaine, but he knows how to put on a show. It's so good. I have read lots of YA because of you, now you can read lots of nonfiction because of me! :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!