Thursday, June 16, 2022

First Line Friday #129

 

First Line Friday is hosted once again by Carrie at Reading is my Superpower. You can visit HERE to go directly to the FLF page of her blog.

Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines posted this week.

Gossamer Grove, Wisconsin
1907

Libby Sheffield had never stopped to wonder what she would take specific note of if she ever stumbled upon a dead body.

Because of Cindy (@Cindy's Book Corner). I found The Souls of Lost Lake and LOVED it. So I naturally did what any normal person does and immediately checked out every single other book by the same author and have been devouring them rapidly. There will be several more First Lines to come from this author in the next several weeks!

Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and leave a link to your FLF so I can stop by to see what you've posted this week.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

16 comments:

  1. Now I'm contemplating what I should pay attention to if I stumbled on a dead body. Glad you are enjoying this author so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I have read so many thrillers and murder mysteries where dead bodies are discovered all the time, but have never considered how I would react. Hmm.

      Delete
  2. I’m currently reading Midnight’s Budding Morrow by Carolyn Miller.
    “The following morning, despite mild admonitions from Mrs. Broomhead, [Sarah] breakfasted downstairs.”
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Jaime Jo!

    My first line this week comes from Free Fall by Nancy Mehl :
    Chapter 1
    “The abandoned amusement park reminded Logan of an aging bride waiting for a bridegroom who never came.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving her work, too. So glad Cindy posted about her. There are a few more weeks' worth coming up for future FLFs!

      Delete
  4. "She was monstrous, if oddly prophetic; there she stood, a buxom bourgeoise 20 feet high, right at the top of the huge Monumental Gate to the Paris Exposition Universelle of 1900, the very entrance to a new century."

    The Vertigo Years - Change and Culture in the West, 1900-1914 by Philipp Blom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to post the boring first lines - not that ANY book should have a boring FIRST line! [lol]

      Delete
    2. Agreed! I try not to judge books by first lines, but sometimes I just know it is going to be a dud.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book!

    I posted the first line from Written on the Wind by Elizabeth Camden: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/06/17/written-on-the-wind/

    Hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it, but I think The Souls of Lost Lake might be my favorite. Though I finished Bonaventure Circus a couple days ago and loved it, and am now reading The Curse of Misty Wayfair. She's such a great author!

      Delete
  6. That opening line is great! Makes me want to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is definitely a gripping first line!

    This week I posted the first line from Sunburst by Susan May Warren. http://gracetogrowblog.com/sunburst-susan-may-warren/

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!