Thursday, June 23, 2022

First Line Friday #130

 

First Line Friday is hosted once again by Carrie at Reading is my Superpower. You can visit HERE to go directly to the FLF page of her blog.

Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines posted this week.


Pleasant Valley
Northwoods of Wisconsin, 1908

Melancholy was a condition of the spirit and the soul, but also of the mind.

Because of Cindy (@Cindy's Book Corner). I found The Souls of Lost Lake and LOVED it. So I naturally did what any normal person does and immediately checked out every single other book by the same author and have been devouring them rapidly. There will be several more First Lines to come from this author in the next several weeks!

Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and leave a link to your FLF so I can stop by to see what you've posted this week.

Happy Reading!
Sarah 

18 comments:

  1. The opening really sets the mood, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly an intriguing first line. I would want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend this one, it is one of my favorites by this author.

      Delete
  3. "During the summer and early autumn of 1917, Roger Keyes was again a happy man." Zeebrugge - Eleven VC's before breakfast by Barrie Pitt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I’m currently reading To Kiss a Wallflower. It’s an anthology of short stories. So far, I am loving it! I’ll share a line from the story I’m currently reading.
    “Lottie left the woods with a new sense of power.”
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great first line - raises so many questions! Happy reading!
    (I love the name of your blog - and I can relate! My book blog wound up with the name "Just A Second" because it was a second blog. Whatever, it works!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, and thanks for the compliment! It came about out of frustration when I was setting up my blog seven years ago. Every cute or witty or funny name I came up with was taken so I literally slammed my fists on my desk and shouted, "UGH! All the book blog names are taken!" ...and then she was born :)

      Delete
  6. I love this first line, and Jaime Jo’s writing style! This week I posted the first line from Elysium Tide by James R. Hannibal.
    http://gracetogrowblog.com/elysium-tide-james-hannibal/

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed all of her novels and now am not-so-patiently awaiting the next one in 2022 AND 2023!

      Delete
  7. I think this one might be my favorite of hers (I haven't read her latest yet)---it was so good!!

    I posted the first line from A Healer's Promise by Misty M Beller: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/06/24/a-healers-promise/

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both! Lost Lake was SO good and that one brought me to all her other titles. Misty and Foster Hill might be my most faves. It changes daily, lol

      Delete
  8. Jaime is one of my favorite authors.

    My first line comes from Long Way Home by Lynn Austin. Just released.
    Hudson Valley, New York. June, 1946
    “I know it looks hopeless,” I told Jimmy Barnett’s father. “But we can’t give up until Jimmy is better. Until he’s home again.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's become one of mine too! I tore through all her other books as soon as I finished Lost Lake (my first book of hers)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!