Thursday, November 28, 2019

Books From The Backlog #22



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
6465879

Why did I add The Lost Books of the Bible to my TBR?

Because I'm endlessly curious about theology and if any of these 'lost texts' were ever truly lost/rejected, or are simply fabrications.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I imagine in alternate worlds because of choices being made the Bible could be a VERY different beast indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? On top of that thought, I sometimes get caught up in the what-ifs that books like these wave in front of me and end up texting one of my pastors (they're a husband-wife team and the most absolutely amazing people who completely accept me in my "I love Jesus but I cuss a little" shirt, which I sometimes wear on Sundays) at all hours of the night. Luckily, he is a night owl!

      Delete
  2. Ok, so my name is Judith. That is also the name of an apocryphal book from early Old Testament days. Many years ago I found a novel written with that book as a reference. The novel is also called Judith and written by a little known author by the name of Stella Wilchek. I loved her novel about my namesake, who was quite an independent, high spirited woman from ancient Judah who seduced Babylonian King Nebuchadrezzer's army captain Holofernes to his death! The story inspired Caravaggio's famous painting, Judith Beheading Hologernes. I have read another novel by Wilchek, Ararat, about Aurtrian Jewish refugees who escaped to South America in 1939. Both books are amazing. She had one other novel, Tale of a Hero. All her books are out of print but can be found from used booksellers on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite the story, I really like reading these additional texts - though some (the purported New Testament texts anyway) would change Christianity quite dramatically!

      Delete
  3. Well, this is interesting. I do wonder about the authenticity of some things like this but this would be a very interesting book. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is endlessly intriguing! Authenticity will always be key though.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!