Thursday, November 28, 2019

First Line Friday #83


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines offered up this week.

6242978

"By the time Dad pulled into the driveway of our new house, all I wanted was to go inside and jump in the shower. If we had a shower, that is. Or even any water. Dad had warned us the house needed a lot of work, but the place was in worse shape than I'd imagined, old and run-down, paint peeling and flaking, a broken downspout dangling from the eaves, old papers littered the porch. The grass was two feet high, choked with towering thistles and milkweed. The bushes and the trees had a wild, shaggy look."

Hahn certainly knows how to set the tone, doesn't she?


You'll have to excuse the middle grade love I will be showing the next couple weeks. Around Halloween I went on a Mary Downing Hahn binge after finding her newest book at our school book fair during conferences. I requested a bunch of her books from the library that I hadn't read, due to them being published while I was in college (or later).

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love abandoned places and would totally go exploring this spot for real!

      Delete
  2. the cover looks eerie... and the Hardy boys poised to explore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me!
    First line(s) from Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem: "Context is everything. Dress me up and see. I'm a carnival barker, an auctioneer, a downtown performance artist, a speaker in tongues, a senator drunk on filibuster. I've got Tourette's."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from On My Honour by Elizabeth Johns. I'm at the 72% mark in the book, so I'll share another line here.

    "Meg had to do something."

    Happy reading! 🙂❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your week is off to a great start, thanks for sharing your line!

      Delete
  5. My first line is from When I Close My Eyes by Elizabeth Musser :
    October, 2015 Friday
    The lady came out of the book store- it was all decorated for Halloween, all sizes and colors of pumpkins making faces at me from where .i watched across Haywood Street in downtown Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have our door decoration up from Halloween. But, it is from Hocus Pocus and we watched that year-round, so...it's not coming down, haha

      Thanks for sharing your line!

      Delete
  6. "Tanner watched the children playing among the methane fires of the neighborhood dump. Overhead, a sick green and orange haze muted the late-afternoon sun, the green curdling with the orange. It was hot, and Tanner was sweating."

    Destroying Angel by Richard Paul Russo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the kids playing there on purpose? Or are they playing there because there is literally no where else to play? So many questions.

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Ruby Jane: The Montana Marshalls" by Susan May Warren:

    Prologue: "Aw, York just knew this would happen."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Saturday! Today I'm sharing the first lines from A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott: "You can't be the photographer."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/11/first-line-fridays-distance-too-grand.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your line, Jolene. Hope your week is off to a great start!

      Delete
  9. the cover makes me think it will be a good one
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! it was her first I'd read that was not a ghost story.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!