Saturday, November 23, 2019

The Sunshine Blogger Award


The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award given by fellow bloggers to those who are creative, positive, and inspiring, while spreading sunshine to the blogging community. I do not typically think of myself in those terms all the time, so I was glad to see that someone else does!

Before we get to the requirements and whatnot, a big thank you goes first to Judy over at Keep The Wisdom for nominating me for this award. It is always nice to be recognized by fellow bloggers as having a blog worth reading - though I admit especially in the first months/years I was probably just talking to myself a lot!

The Rules:
1. Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you in a post and link back to their blog
2. Answer 11 questions the blogger asked you
3. Nominate 11 blogs to receive the award and write for them 11 new questions
4. List the rules and display the sunshine blogger award in your post and/or on your blog

Here is my list of bloggers who I enjoy reading regularly, and hope you will too. There will be some overlap with Judy's nominations, as now we kind of run in the same circle, so that's extra blog-love for those nominees. If you do not want to create a post of your own, or answer the questions I am going to shamelessly steal borrow from Judy (and others, because I am so not creative in this area), no worries. Just know that you are valued and I appreciate you!

Judy's Questions:
1. How did you get started blogging?
I was posting my reviews on Goodreads, and as I read more and more about how Goodreads was sometimes deleting reviews without warning or notice that it somehow violated one of the 'rules', I wanted a place where my reviews would be safe. I also had a blog in college, and I kind of used it to make fun of the word blogging when it was a new thing, because it was such a dumb word. I obviously do not make fun of it anymore.

2. What do you enjoy most about being a book blogger?
I love to write, and have since I was young. Same with reading, of course. I enjoy sharing about books that I love or loathe with bloggers who have become my friends, and talking with them about all sorts of bookish and non-bookish things. I also enjoy the fact that I have begun to cultivate relationships with publishers and authors. Free books for reviewing purposes is also a bonus!

3. How long have you kept your blog going?
Oh goodness, I am not even sure. I am literally going to have to stop typing this answer and look it up...Okay, first post here was February of 2015.

4. Would you say you have a philosophy behind your blog? If yes, please say what it is.
My number one goal is to be honest about everything I read. I never have and never will take money to write a review. Unless of course I am working for a publication that pays me specifically for the job of reviewing books, because that would be amazing. But there, the payment would be tied to the actual job and not a specific book. But I digress. I do not hold back in reviews where I think a good scolding is warranted. I do not tolerate books which are sloppy in research, contain vast amounts of supposition, or are flat out wrong and go against all the research currently being done in a particular area. I also do not tolerate sexist, misogynistic, and/or homophobic bullshit and will immediately call out any and all that I see. So, in summary, honesty is the best policy.

5. What genres do you enjoy reading the most?
NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. NON-FICTION. I specifically am interested in European history, and even more specifically that of Scotland, England, and Ireland. I love reading about feminism, LGBTQIA+, Black Lives Matter, and politics. There are so many more topics I am completely enthralled by and this answer would grow rapidly if I listed all of them.

Oh, and I dig a good cozy mystery (Mercy Watts is my fave series), plus I am having a not so hush-hush affair with both YA and middle grade as of late. But non-fiction will always be my first love, and history especially.

6. Who are your top three favorite authors?
Tee-hee, this is a no-brainer if you read my blog regularly 😉
First, forever, is Dan Jones. He introduced me to Eleanor of Aquitaine through his book The Plantagenets and I have not looked back. We are also practically BFFs. Which I'm sure he NEVER gets tired of hearing...
I also am really loving Karen McManus. I LOVE her books and am dying to get my hands on One of Us is Next!

7. Do you attend any reading groups? If so, how many?
None. I am a solitary reader, Eleanor is the only exception to this! Unless you count my job as a Resource teacher, where I meet with my kiddos who need reading support. Then I would have to say I belong to five reading groups.

8. If you could invite a few authors over for dinner, who would they be - even if you had to resurrect them from the dead?
Dan Jones, obviously. Remember how we are BFFs? Also, Helen Castor, Karen McManus, Bernie Sanders, Louisa May Alcott, LM Montgomery, Michael Crichton, and Agatha Christie.

9. How do you find the books you want to read?
I stalk follow Dan Jones religiously on Facebook, waiting for the announcements of his next books, tours, haircuts, recent purchases, etc. Just kidding, mostly. He is pretty hilarious in general so definitely check out one of his Facebook Live chats. I also find so many books through Goodreads, as well as the bloggers I follow who have similar reading tastes.

10. Do you think authors today are as good as those from earlier years? Better? Worse? Why?
This is actually a really tough one to answer. For what I mainly read, non-fiction, I think authors in every era have done the best they could with material they had to work with. Access to contemporary resources for research is much easier today, though not always as easy as I wish it was. Worldviews have also changed, and so many fields that were once dominated exclusively by men are now getting female perspectives as well - a perspective that has been needed for a loooooooooong time. Women who have been treated horribly by past historians are finally getting more fair and unbiased representations of themselves. Catherine Howard (5th wife of Henry VIII) is a prime example.

11. Name a few of the best books you have read this year.
Oh Lord, I don't even know where to start. This has been an exceptional year in books for me. There are dozens that I have given five stars to. Crusaders by Dan Jones, City of Ghosts and Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab, The Girl in the Locked Room and Took by Mary Downing Hahn, Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann, Tears We Cannot Stop by Michael Eric Dyson, Mercia by Annie Whitehead, The Five by Hallie Rubenhold...this list is out of control so I will just stop here.

Now onto the easy part (nominating bloggers) and the hard part (coming up with questions!), so here we go:

1. Cyber Kitten @ Seeking a Little Truth
4. Sherry @ Fundinmental
5. Stephen @ Reading Freely
6. Nicci @ Sunny Buzzy Books
8. Stephanie @ Literary Flits
9. Evelina @ Avalinah's Books

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to answer the following questions and then nominate some bloggers of your own!

1. What genres do you prefer? Why?
2. What genres do you refuse to read? Why?
3. What is the easiest thing about blogging for you? The hardest?
4. If you could become a character in any book, which book and why?
5. If you could travel to any period in history, which would it be, and why?
6. Do you ever DNF books? What makes you DNF?
7. Who are your favorite authors?
8. How important is book cover quality to you? Why?
9. Name a character that you would want to be best friends with, and why.
10. Name a character who would become your mortal enemy, should you ever cross paths in real life.
11. Which authors would you invite to a dinner party? (never mind silly things like death)

There you have it! If you feel like playing along, great. If not, no worries.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

20 comments:

  1. Thanks! Now that's TWO memes I have to do.... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do one post and just answer all the questions together. It just means we kinda like ya!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I just saw this on Twitter! Thank you!!! these are fun, can't wait to do it. And awesome answers too bTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. Thank you for bringing sunshine to my reading life in the form of YA suspense/thrillers ;)

      Delete
  3. Great! You did it!! I love your answers to my questions. Thank you for playing, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me! I always get so nervous that I will draw a complete blank when it comes to my own questions, but luckily they were decent enough this time around.

      Delete
  4. love the post and your answers. thanks so much for the mention. i'll be working on my post and can hardly wait to share.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thank you for playing too! I enjoy your blog and am so glad we found one another!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for including my blog!!
    Love your answers and I'm having a good think over mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to your post. Ask Judy, it took me ages to finally get mine posted. You and your blog are much appreciated; even if I won't end up being able to read many of the books you review, you have such a wide variety of literature and I definitely get an education each time I read!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. LOL - I've actually done the OTHER meme first.... DUH!

      Delete
    2. Aaahhh, I did not know there was a different one altogether - Judy nominated you for this one also so that's what I meant when I said you could just combine it in to one post!

      Delete
  7. Thank you! I've been trying to type up my answers for days and should be able to post them tonight. I wasted considerable time answering the FIRST set of questions before I realized I was meant to do the second set. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the nomination, Sarah! I'll get my post up soon. :)

    I laughed at your Dan Jones response... It's because of you I know follow him on twitter, watched Great British Castles (despite having visited of those featured) on Netflix and have added some of his books to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I enjoy your blog so much!

      Isn't he just the coolest?! Plus he is hilarious and always makes Twitter a bit more fun and a bit less depressing. Go back and watch any of his Friday Live chats, omg some of them I am laughing so hard sometimes that I can't breathe.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for nominating me! And I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. It's like I don't have any time anymore for blogging these days!

    I also love nonfiction like you, although I read a lot of fiction too. I guess I'll read almost anything, except anything erotic or with killing involved. So almost no romance and certainly no thrillers and mysteries!

    And I actually DNF these days because there are just too many good books and not enough days to read them in :) before blogging I used to chug through! Now I don't anymore :)

    Wishing you a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Evelina. I am so glad you are back from your hiatus. I continue to learn so much from you, even though I am not a new blogger. You are such a valuable member of our community!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!