Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Treasure


Aren't they beautiful?

Recently a good friend's grandfather passed away. She and her family are in the process of sorting through belongings. Last week they asked if I would like to give some books a new home, and I gladly accepted the offer. If there is one thing Eleanor and I are good at, it is providing a loving home for our favorite kind of treasure.

I found some interesting Christian non-fiction, such as books on daily life in Biblical times, etc - and a Covenant Church hymnal (the red one!). I also found children's books on Vikings, animals, Sweden, and the Medieval World for Eleanor.

There are a few extra special finds I want to highlight on their own. They are simply too precious for me to keep the news to myself, or make them share a Stacking the Shelves post with mere mortals.

Note: Rest assured I let my friend and her mother know exactly what treasures I had found, and I looked up prices comparable editions were selling for online so they knew what the value might be.

Without further ado...

1949 edition

No publication date listed, inscription says it was given as a Christmas gift in 1939.

Grimms' Fairy Tales, 1945 edition

No publication date listed, inscription states was received at North Park College in 1923.

1897 edition

And last, but certainly not least, the one I nearly cried over...
The Beautiful and Damned, published March, 1922

Simply stunning. I am honored to be able to give these treasures a new home.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

14 comments:

  1. O...M...G...! What WONDERFUL books!! I LOVE that kind of thing. What an amazing set of gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?!?! I was in shock when I came across them. I hugged Damned so very, very tightly. I am so thankful I was given this opportunity, and wonderful, wonderful gift.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I am still in awe. They are sitting very neatly in a stack beside me on my desk. I stare at them a lot.

      Delete
  3. What a find! I love that vintage Twenty thousand Leagues. I found an old Robin Hood a few years back on vacation ands begged the store owner (it was a display) to sell it to me- thankfully they did.

    Sometimes children's books (even older ones, even if they're somewhat outdated) have a magical way of just invigorating kids' imaginations.

    Josephus I've never read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old finds like this! At Half Price Books a couple years ago I found the complete four-book set of Thomas Costain's 'A History of the Plantagenets'. It was only $35, but to me it is priceless!

      Delete
  4. WOW!! REAL BOOKS!! hardly ever see those any more. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was practically in tears. I am looking forward to seeing what else I can find. I am grateful to be the new keeper of these books.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful. And yes, what a treasure. Even if they didn't want to books, they could have sold them, so it's such an honour to be asked whether you wanted them. I have some vintage books from my parents, not as valuable but I treasure them just as much.

    Children's book about Sweden also sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The books themselves are what is valuable, the monetary is nothing. A couple years ago I found the complete set of Thomas Costain's "A History of the Plantagenets' for $35 at Half Price Books. Priceless to me, though!

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I always say that about any book.

      Delete
    3. I feel that was especially about these though, given how I have received them.

      Delete
    4. Definitely. I totally understand.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!