Thursday, March 26, 2020

Books From The Backlog #39



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
7282903

Why did I add The Crusades to my TBR?

...especially after reading Dan Jones' book on the subject? Because I dig Thomas Asbridge. He wrote a phenomenal book on William the Marshal and he's a top-notch historian.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

14 comments:

  1. i read the Harold Lamb version 3 or 4 times when i was a kid: addicting subject...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for his book. I think it is always interesting to see how interpretations of material change over the years.

      Delete
  2. Oh cool! I'm always looking for recs for historical writers. I've read a couple books focuses on some of the Crusades time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with Dan Jones, Helen Castor, Thomas Asbridge, Matthew Lewis - they're wonderful!

      Delete
  3. You're the reason I now follow Dan Jones on Twitter and Instagram, lol. He seems like a good guy and makes me laugh. One day, I'm going to read one of his books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good!! He's such a hoot and constantly keeps me both laughing and well-informed. WHEN you read ALL his books, start with The Plantagenets ;)

      Delete
  4. I really feel like I need to read more history. I hope you enjoy this one, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read more on the Crusades. Sooo much happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would of course recommend Dan Jones' book on the subject, and this one as well even though I have not read it yet. Asbridge is top-notch.

      Delete
  6. I await your review of this one. I am currently quite interested in the Crusades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one I actually possess, and with the quarantine I am hoping to get to it ASAP. Definitely read this one, Asbridge is a great historian. And OF COURSE read Dan Jones' book too ;)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!