Sunday, December 26, 2021

Top10of2K21 Post #2 | New or New-to-Me Authors

 

Here we go, post #2 for Top10of2K21! If you want to participate, or see what others are saying, click the banner to go to Kimberly's blog.

I tend to lag far behind when it comes to popular fiction, thrillers, etc. I am usually stuck way back in Anglo-Saxon England and don't pay attention until one of my blogger buddies throws a rec my way because they know I have very specific tastes when it comes to the fiction I make time for.

So thanks mostly to Ethan, and only like, once to Prime First Reads, here are some authors I discovered this year who I enjoyed (links go to Goodreads).

Shari Lapena
(All kinds of twisty turns. Some are obvious, some are wtf-inducing, most are fun.)

Dot Hutchison
(Technically I actually read my first book by her in 2020, but this was the year I plowed through the rest of her work after reading The Butterfly Garden because, holy shit.)

Nancy Springer
(Eleanor and I LOVE the Enola Holmes series and it is such fun to watch Enola outsmart her big brother, Sherlock.)

Kate Messner
(Another series Eleanor and I are really enjoying is History Smashers, where the author dispels all kinds of myth about big events in history. I love this kind of non-fiction for Eleanor.)

Sara Gran
(I plowed through Come Closer in like an hour, and will definitely be reading more of her work in 2022!)

Daniel James Brown
(Another author I technically discovered in 2020, but did not realize it at first when I read two more of his books this year. Fantastic non-fiction, gripping and wonderfully researched.)

Vera Kurian
(LOVED Never Saw Me Coming, because who doesn't love a sociopath as a narrator?! Will definitely be reading more of her work in the future!)

E. Lockhart
I know I am suuuuuuuuper late to the party on this one but, holy shit. I loved We Were Liars, despite spending a lot of time NOT thinking about what the twist could be as I was reading because I did not want to spoil it for myself.

Kathryn Harkup
(Such fun non-fiction! She takes on the science of Frankenstein and vampires, the poisons of Agatha Christie, and Shakespeare and death. I can't wait to see what classic she does next!)

Grady Hendrix
(I LOVED most of The Final Girl Support Group. I used to really love horror movies, so it was a nice trip down memory lane and lovely homage to the slasher flicks of the 80s. I haven't read any of his other work yet, but it is a possibility in 2022.)

Have you read any of these authors? What do you think? Let me know!

Happy Reading,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I loved We were Liars. And Shari Lapena *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what took me so long to read it, I am a dummy. It was EVERYTHING. There's a prequel that I am dying to read but it is not in my library's catalog, boo. Guess I will have to request it.

      Delete
  2. I need to read Nancy Springer, I loved the Enola Holmes movie, I imagine the books are good too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!