Thursday, March 21, 2024

Books From The Backlog #65

 


Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week

Why did I add Young Henry: The Rise of Henry VIII to my TBR?

Because sometimes it is nice to see he wasn't always a fucking monster who ordered the executions of so many innocent people.

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. I read a theory somewhere (can't remember the book) that put forward the idea that he only became a monster after a fall from a horse where he injured his head... Have you heard that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have encountered that one also. It's possible, he was knocked out for a few hours and those around him thought he was going to die. It's so hard to know what makes the most sense. I don't think it is far off to say he was megalomaniac-ish. But we also have to consider the pressure of continuing the dynasty. The Tudors didn't have the strongest claim and he executed those with a better one, the older he got. I think it was probably a combination of many factors, but getting knocked out is near the top of the list for me.

      Delete
  2. I thought he sounded promising as a young guy, too. Hope it gives you insight into his younger years.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did, he was considered this wonderfully enlightened prince, but I think a combination of factors completely altered his brain as he got older.

      Delete
  3. It would be interesting to get more insight into his early years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a totally different person, compared to who he became in his quest for a son.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!